Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
devised a solution to the occasional problem of a 65mm TB not opening 100%. idea came from bicycles of course, in makin a way for takin out some slack to the cable.

i used a trio of delrin spacers (far smaller than the susp shims of course, btw thx rob mine went on this morning...fun labor on labor day) in between the throttle bracket and the tb.

the 2 main bolts on the front are the key. this did involve replacing all 3 bolts that hold the bracket (no big deal, get rid of some torx).

used a shim on the outside of the base plate just b/c i didnt have the standard bolts that come w/this tb (couldnt find 1 shorter either).

tests show she opens all the way now.

this was for a 01 5spd manual, so b'g the same and dependin on the quality of manufacture of your TB...i'd say this will work on any 00-025spd or 00-01 atx affected. idk what, if any, changes have been made to the newer stuff.

i'll get some more pix later this evening, good luck.

-Ult

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Re: Takin\' a page outta Rob (p51)\'s book...

devised a solution to the occasional problem of a 65mm TB not opening 100%. idea came from bicycles of course, in makin a way for takin out some slack to the cable.

i used a trio of delrin spacers (far smaller than the susp shims of course, btw thx rob mine are sittin here at my desk waitin to go on) in between the throttle bracket and the tb.

the 2 main bolts on the front are the key (used a spacer on the outside of the side screw just b/c i didnt have the original screw). this did involve replacing all 3 bolts that hold the bracket (no big deal, get rid of some torx).

tests show she opens all the way now.

this was for a 01 5spd manual, so b'g the same and dependin on the quality of manufacture of your TB...i'd say this will work on any 00-025spd or 00-01 atx affected. idk what, if any, changes have been made to the newer stuff.

i'll post pix 2mrw, too dark out right now and server is down...just thought i'd share

-Ult
Good work, sounds like something that could benefit a lot of people in here.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

How often does this happen (not opening 100% that is)?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

Ive heard and seen it quite a bit. The people I know that this happened to, they put a zip tie on the throttle cable inbetween the end of the cable, and the gas pedal. Seemed to work pretty good.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

eck scary....

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any hardware store, i went to my local ACE...in the nuts/bolts/washers/fasteners section

-Ult

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Do you have to leave a finger there??? I'm kinda attached to mine at the moment

sorry

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did to fix the problem.
exactly. in one pic, you've got 4 arrows apparently pointing at the same thing...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i explained the prob to him personally, he didnt follow b/c he doesnt have 1.

as far as 4 arrows to the same thing...either you need to try harder or your eyewear prescription is wrong, what i pointed out is very clear.

-Ult

·
Registered
993 Posts
i explained the prob to him personally, he didnt follow b/c he doesnt have 1.

as far as 4 arrows to the same thing...either you need to try harder or your eyewear prescription is wrong, what i pointed out is very clear.

-Ult
it's not particularily clear... you camera has the foreground nice and clear, but not the background where the shim actually is.

(hint to any reader checking it out, don't look at what's in the foreground... look deeper)..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the side 1 isnt so important, there wouldnt be a shim there if i had their bolts (shorter). but since that was the shortest i could get, on the side bolt i put the shim on the outside (so its a non factory). the big deal is the 2 front 1s.

-Ult

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
The concept is that the manufacturing of the TB is done incorrectly. The spacing between the plate and the body needs to be increased... as it is now, its too close, and that creates slack in the cable.

Just another example of poor R&D if you ask me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts