Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed the Focus Central 65mm Throttle body and followed instructions to spec. I noticed that the idle is slightly off than before. When revving the engine to 5000 rpm and the back down the idle drops immediately to 1500 rpm than takes about 5-10 sec to drop down to 800-900 rpm. Is there any possible reason for this occurring? I went ahead and pulled the battery cable to reboot the ECU. I can't think of any other resolution. The TPS sensor is in the correct position. Does the position of the TPS sensor dictate the idle speed? Is this situation normal for the larger throttle body?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Drive the car so the computer will "learn" to adjust the idle quicker. Do NOT adjust the throttle stop it will not help long term. Many people mistakenly try this and do not realize that doing so moves the TPS on the other end of the throttle shaft and shows the computer the car is "off idle" (via the increased voltage from the TPS)

Also, see if you have a vacuum leak at the base of the t/b. Don't forget to use RTV/silicone on the gasket.

I hope this helps. I have had a t/b on my 01 car for 3 years and it never has given me an "issue".

Tony D

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You might have a leak which would be causing that. Also the screw that holds the TB blade open might be to far holding the blade open causing the high idle and not letting the computer control the idle.

·
Registered
892 Posts
back the idle screw off the plate then screw it in until it just touches the plate... screw in another 1/2 turn.

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks at the bottom, take off the TB and use some RTV on the gasket then re-seat it on the manifold...

Also, make sure you unhook your negative cable from your battery while doing this so your computer will reset after the install since you're letting more air in the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts