Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

just a quick question before I go spend money.... The blower motor resistor has gone out yet again on my focus so I've only got setting "4" on the switch....

On 1-3... the ac will kick on... compressor will engage but the blower motor wont work so it does nothing... however turn the blower to "4" and the ac kicks out... the air is cold for a minute or so then progressively warms up because the compressor isnt working... and the light next to the ac button goes off...

Turn it back to 1-3.. the light comes back on and the ac compressor will engage...

Will the blower motor resistor cause this also or do I need to replace the switch?

Thanks guys
-AcId-

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

-AcId-

·
Registered
479 Posts
Does the A/C light go out immediately after switching to 4? I don't have the full schematics, but its possible that the open resistors are preventing the control unit from recognizing that the A/C is turned on.

Why are your resistors going out repeatedly? You should check the fan itself to see it isn't dragging.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fan doesnt sound like it has any drag issues... doesnt make any odd noises, etc... then again its been over a year since Ive driven the car so I dont recall if it was having problems before.

And yes.. the a/c light shuts off as soon as I turn it to 4 and the blower comes on... turn it back to 3 and the compressor engages instantly and the light comes back on...

-AcId-

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you haven't ruled out the blower switch.Push in on blower speed selector as you choose 1 , 2 or speed 3.I mean push somewhat hard in the center of selector and if blower fan engages I would say it is the cheap workmanship on their blower switches.The fan speeds just kept dropping out , found inside of blower switch legs black/burnt trails from the arcs and the legs so weak that they were not making contact with the spring loaded bb which joined legs in different settings.Or test blower switch with ohm meter.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For what it's worth, these are the exact symptoms I had when I had a bad blower motor resistor. I replaced it and everything worked again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys...

just a quick question before I go spend money.... The blower motor resistor has gone out yet again on my focus so I've only got setting "4" on the switch....

On 1-3... the ac will kick on... compressor will engage but the blower motor wont work so it does nothing... however turn the blower to "4" and the ac kicks out... the air is cold for a minute or so then progressively warms up because the compressor isnt working... and the light next to the ac button goes off...

Turn it back to 1-3.. the light comes back on and the ac compressor will engage...

Will the blower motor resistor cause this also or do I need to replace the switch?

Thanks guys
-AcId-
I would change out your blower motor. sounds like too much of a load is coming from it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts