Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't want 160 horses or anything like that. But, I would like a little more noticable power, especially when accelerating. I was just wondering if I were to buy these items, if I would get any noticable power increase from them.
*Denso Iridium spark plugs
*UDP
*9mm performance plug wires
*Adjustable cam gears
*Diablo Sport chip
*Ported throttle body
*AEM Short Ram air intake
So yeah, I was just wondering if I'd be able to feel power from these items at all. Thanks guys. -Chris-

[ 03-09-2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: plummey96 ]

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
*Denso Iridium spark plugs
Won't make any noticable difference. The stock plugs are as good as any.

*UDP
Will make a very noticable difference, both in power and in feel of the engine. Will rev more freely

*9mm performance plug wires
Agian nothing you'll feel, though is a nice cheap dress up item

*Adjustable cam gears
With tuning can make for anywhere from 5-15hp, also can move the powerband where it's most usable for your driving.

*Diablo Sport chip
You'll get mixed answers on this. Everyone I know with one loves it, myself included. People will say it doesn't show any gain on a dyno, so what. The throttle response from tip in removal and the way it alters the torque curve are worth it to me. Rev and speed limiters being raised are gravy.

*Ported throttle body
Absolutly worth it, price is right too.

*AEM Short Ram air intake
If you don't live in CA I wouldn't bother with extra cost of the AEM short ram. In my opinion all intakes are just about equal, I can't feel the difference in 2hp. I always like FocusSport, though for short intakes the MAC seems like the best bargain.

I'd recomend (as i always do) to start with an intake then exhaust then UDP or chip. With cam gears plan on another $100 or so for dyno tuning to really get the most out of them, though when I put mine on just getting the cams set to something much closer to a true top dead center made for a noticable increase in power.

[ 03-09-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i HIGHLY recommend u dont do cam sprockets (thus tuning) and/or a shorty header w/o replacin the stock cat. it will and has proven 2 die under those conditions.

-Ult

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, you really helped out. I think i will drop the ignition items as you all said I should do. And I will save a little more for an exhaust too. Thanks, Chris.
Hey, just wondering- why doesn't a muffler fit right with the zx3, you have to angle it, correct?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
03' ZX3 - sorry, I do not. Hudson, not Genoa City, heard of it, but haven't been there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The mods you make tend to complement each other, so you should plan on a number of mods that work together. My objective was to keep it smog legal in California, and to avoid warranty issues.

At first I replaced the stock spark plug wires with MSD wires. They made a difference in throttle response, but not much difference in overall power.

I had a Magnaflow 11224 straight through muffler installed on stock exhaust pipes. Some may agrue that a cat back is better, but the stock pipes looked pretty straight to me, and unless you have substantial mods, 2" exhaust pipes are big enough. The overall result with the Magnaflow was a noticable increase in torque and better breathing at higher RPM, but still nothing spectacular.

I got a MAC short ram air intake. I am impressed with the high quality of this intake, and that it is California CARB certified, yet is more reasonably priced than AEM or similar products. It is the combination of these three mods that finally made a real difference in excelleration and pulling power at higher RPM. I am quite happy with the result.

For me, I fear mods such as under drive pullies, or chips could adversly affect engine longevity and could void the Ford warranty.

A larger throttle body probably does no good unless you have cams, a ported head, or forced induction, all of which could also affect longevity, and could void the warranty.

Denso Iridium spark plugs? No one has made a strong argument either for or against them. The cost is pretty low, so you don't have much to loose. but there is probably not that much to be gained either.

Adjustable cam gears? There was a lot of talk on these boards that Ford didn't know how to set up the timing on their cams and that the timing varied widely between different cars. Frankly, I don't believe it. I believe that if you start messing with the cam timing you have as much chance of making things worse than you have of making them better.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
To keep it smog legal restricts much. Basically, to get all you want out of it, you're gonna have to be illegal.

As for Cam Gears. I've seen dynos of several stock ZX3s.... some pulled as low as 102 and mine was 111. This was STOCK! Basically, the variation os due to the "tolerance" that is allowed by Ford to accuracy of TDC and cam position when they're installed at the factory.

My Advice.... Intake, Header, Exhaust, UDP, Chip in that order. I'm hating the fact that I don't have an exhaust yet... and cant' wait till I do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts