Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a jrsc on my focus about 1000mi ago. I noticed it lost a quart of oil since installing it. Is is this normal for sc cars? I know its not leaking any oil and its got only 15k mi on the engine. I hardly drive at high rpms too. Also the 99.5 napa belt squeaks at start up? and whenever you turn the ac on at idle it squeals really bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Banned
926 Posts
Belt Squeal

As for it losing oil. How often you're doing your oil change and how much oil do you lose? I know a few people have a problem with oil getting vented out the vent valve that they need a catch can to keep oil from soaking the whole engine compartment. Do you have a alot of oil in your intake/intake manifold?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I put a jrsc on my focus about 1000mi ago. I noticed it lost a quart of oil since installing it. Is is this normal for sc cars? I know its not leaking any oil and its got only 15k mi on the engine. I hardly drive at high rpms too. Also the 99.5 napa belt squeaks at start up? and whenever you turn the ac on at idle it squeals really bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
It's usually a good idea to add a catch can to any FI application. With my JRSC I will fill mine (mind you it's a custom air/water seperator that only holds like 3oz) every other week if I'm boosting. I noticed a good deal of oil had gotten into the intake manifold so I added the catch and kept it out of there.

As for losing a quart.... that's definitely a bad thing! You might want to get your engine cylinders pressure tested to see if you're losing pressure. It sounds like you're getting some massive blow-by.

I think you're probably just blowing a lot of oil through the PCV system. Add a catch can and make sure to check your oil regularly.

Nate

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
boost4fun, just listen to whatever Nate has to say, and you'll be fine...i've gotten some of the best help from him

thanx again Nate,

Laz

·
Registered
287 Posts
boost4fun, just listen to whatever Nate has to say, and you'll be fine...i've gotten some of the best help from him

thanx again Nate,

Laz
I'm not sure of your oil loss problem. I installed a JRSC on our own 6 year old Focus and have driven it really hard for a year without any oil loss. I would recommend refilling the oil, check it carefully on level ground, then drive it and recheck it daily. Same time, same place, same temperature. Plus, I recommend using a good Valvoline or Castrol oil.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
of course, please also listen to everything Mr. Oscar Sr. has to say, cause if he can't give you advice, well, then nobody can, especially when it comes to the JRSC

Laz

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's usually a good idea to add a catch can to any FI application.
Nate
Ok, I'll ask.
What's a Catch Can and how do you install one on a JRSC ?

The Focus has a oil seperator low on the front of the engine. The oil seperator also contains the PCV valve. When driven hard oil will be forced into the oil seperator and then sucked into the intake manifold by the PCV valve. A catch tank is simply a container that the oil can be "caught" in before it reaches the intake manifold. But as I said before, none of the hard driving I've done to our test car has ever made it lose oil. I would recommend that you find the source of your problem before you add a catch can.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I installed my JRSC on my Contour at 120k and don't lose any oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts