Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few susp. questions and wanted to see what I could find out. Here goes.

1. Tell me more about adjustment for adjustable dampners. I have SPAX right now but am getting ready to swap for either some KW or Koni Yellows. I basically want to know how you set-up the dampners. Comfortability? Sport? How often do you change them?

2. Can someone post a pic with their rear camber bolts installed. Here is the deal. Because of work, I had a local shop install my poly bushing set and they were supposed to install the rear camber bolts but my camber always seems to be out in the rear. I want to pull it off to verify but don't know exactly where to look on the rear suspension.

3. What type of bracing would you do to a rear shock brace. Basically I want mine to work so I was going to buy one and modify it to have bracing connecting to the rear floor. How woul dyou suggest I do this? I can weld, so this isn't a problem.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that awesome info. I am a member there and never even thought to look it up.

Now, anybody got some suggestions for the other questions?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody has any answers for the other two questions?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
In a nut shell: You adjust dampers softer for comfort, and stiffer for sport.

HOWEVER, some attention should be paid to front / rear balance, and if they are adjusted TOO soft, the ride will get uncomfortable again as your springs bounce you all over the place.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Oreo is correct.
With my Koni's and H&R Race Springs, I run the fronts about 1/6th to 1/3rd Stiffer than Full Soft, and the Rears at Full Firm, but I Auto-X.
For street/? I would probably run the rears at about 1/2 stiffness for starters, then experiment for what feels best to YOU.
Regarding the rear shock tower bar....
There is only one available that really DOES anything worth note.
It is available from Adams Racing, and must be triangulated/welded to the floorpan, as well as the towers.
Contact Dan Adams (aka SRF on the 'Jet) at http://www.svtsalvage.com/ . He's a site sponsor/racer, and his science is good.
If the bar is not to be found on the website, just contact him through the website's contact page, and see if he'll provide more info.
Most bolt in bars do little except for stopping some rattles, because on a Focus, which has rear shocks instead of struts, the forces are allocated in such a way that the lateral bar, especially a bolt-in, really doesn't have much to do with anything that's happening.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll give Dan a call. Thanks again.

One other question, you don't have to remove the tires to adjust the suspension do you. There is a dial or valve located in a somewhat convenient location, right?

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
on the Gaz Fronts, the adjustment is on teh top.
on the Gaz Rears, its on the bottom by the lower shock bolt.

On koni fronts, the adjustment is on the top I believe.
on Koni rears, its inside the car on the top and you need to cut a hole in the carpet

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Konis are the ones I am particularly looking at. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts