Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After that wicked storm this weekend i decided to take the focus out for a spin. The car struggled to start so after it finally started i popped the hood and there was a mouse nest on spark plug 1. The S.O.B. had bittin off chunks of the firewall and made a nest. Now today i checked the intake air box and there was more stuff. How can i check that ducting that leads up to the air box. Why does it still stuggle to start sometimes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
holy ****!

remove all the piping from the TB down

blow air thru it

check your filter and MAFS

holy ****!

that's wierd!

·
Registered
283 Posts
put a cat in there. thats the gist!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys im a rookie could u tell me where exactly the TB is and how id go about removing all this tubing and what not. THANKS AGAIN. God y did this happen to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
maybe he removed his cat, thats why the mouse is there.

possibly a contaminated mass air flow, ive seen that before, when they eat through the filter...seen the entire spark plug wires with nibble marks in them too...did you check to see the wires were all ok?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
throtle bodie
i have seen a mouse nest in the air filter. it wass al covered in hair and ther was poop caked in the corner of the box. i just scraped it all off with a screwdriver and blew the hair off the filter with air. and poppy229 check all the wires every where. i would sugest bringing it to the dealer and having them deal with it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by FOCAL X:
that would really suck ass if you sucked a mouse into you combustion chamber
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hypothetically... Would this be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
boost til bust that was some funny ****... man i havent laughed that hard in a while...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by phillyesco:
put a cat in there. thats the gist!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's just too damn funny, especially when combined with where is the T/B inquiry (no offense meant to the poster as we were all unaware at some point)

You can hunt endlessly and not find them all, sneaky little guys. Once inside the firewall, they WILL nest inside your car and then go to your seats for bedding.

Basically, Heat the motor up and FRY all the mice, then go looking for them. I had a car years ago, where I found 10 mice in the motor and assemblies after I burned the crapola out of them....

[ 02-20-2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys im bringin the car to my auto class and gettin it computer diagnosed. Then ill hav my auto teacher help me out. Thanx guys i will keep you posted. O some more info for u guys....the car starts fine afta it has been run for awhile (like to and from grocery store) but struggles in that first mourning start when its cold. Any more advice is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
In all seriousness, first you need to get rid of the mouse. Set a trap or two in the engine bay.

Once it is gone, you will need to remove the intake assembly - Airbox, Plastic piping, MAF, etc. Be sure that the throttle body is clean, that is the part at the end of the intake tubing that connects to the motor. It is circular, has a plate in it (Butterfly). Be sure that is all clean. Clean every part you took off and put them back. Now, buy yourself a good set of spark plug wires and replace all the stock ones. Heck while your at it, upgrade your plugs to, just for fun.

Lastly, if you are afraid to work on your car, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
707 Posts
you dont believe it but the same almost happened to me, i found dog food in the airbox, then i put a mouse trap and done. i notice the fuel consumption increased, then i discovered the snorkel was clogged with more dog food. it all happened becuase i stored a carpet on my garage on winter and the sucker made the nest on it!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me!

It took pieces off the firewall on the passenger side and I think it might have gone up in between the hood and the insulation in the hood...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, so many mouse problems...who would have thought?

Be cautious when dealing with this, especially if you are cleaning the intake components with compressed air. Mouse poop can carry the Hanta virus.

[ 02-21-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: InsertCleverNameHere ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
just replace the plug wire that the mouse chewd on and clean up the mess and take it to the ford dealer they will not know the diff. I should know i work on them every day at a ford dealer

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
Ultimate advice: Move to where it's not so damn cold! Here in Texas the have the manners to stay out of our cars.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's not just any mouse, that's your engine! It was the HP option from Ford.
Seriously, I've had mice, and they're not fun. Check all of your wires, they love to chew. Set traps, have your engine detailed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts