Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Shannonville Raceway today and beat the tar out of the new system, and I'd say it passed pretty good!

I retuned the whole thing on the way to the event (gotta love that Pectel for real time!). I shot for 11:1 AFR at full boost (10 psi). I also retimed it, safe for 91. The lowest timing I have is 11 BTDC at 4000 and 4500 rpm at full boost.

If found is was leaning out a bit on track, in the mid-11's and the EGT's were getting frighteningly high. 1550 by the end of the big straight. Is 1600 the danger zone, or is is 1500...?

I added 5% fuel at full boost and that brought it back down to 11:1. I think I'm having issues with the air temp sensor because it's now running mid 10's back on the highway. It picks up heat from the asphalt while waiting on grid, heat soaks. I have this crazy idea of putting the sensor IN the intercooler water flow, since that's pretty much the temp the air will be. At least, it'll be closer than the temp of the air at the pavement.

How does that timing compare with others? I wonder if that is contributing to the high EGT's? I have *not* tuned the spark for borderline knock. It's just... safe. I wonder if I can run more?

The really good news is that the system with NO extra capacity (just what's in the cooler and intercooler) seems to be able to keep the temp down just fine. Coming in after 20 minutes on track, the cold side of the intercooler is just... lukewarm. Barely warm at all.

So, I'll add the degass bottle and be done with it.

I suppose if I added more power, it might heat up more. But the car is a beast on track now, so I don't really forsee more boost. THIS is the amount of power the Focus chassis needs to get a workout. For once, it's not a game of "how much momentum can you conserve?" it's "How fast can you go?"

I suppose it makes my driving sloppier but...

Damn was it fun! YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!

Now that the car is perfected, it's time to sell it.

Noooooo....
NEVER!

I'm passing Hoosier shod, suspension worked Cobras... <cough> Ford GT's driven by instructors...

Next up, Camber! I corded the outside corners of my RA-1's.
But that's discussion for another forum.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm passing Hoosier shod, suspension worked Cobras...
Man that must have frosted their nuts!

Yes I have found the chassis can make use of quite a bit of power with good tires and warm dry weather. I use all I have pretty often on warm sunny days... but it is all faster 3rd and 4th gear stuff.

How did those aluminum welds turn out?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
P51 u have a SC right

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would not run more than 1500F max on stock internals. Maybe 1550, but yeah, no way 1600F. You're just gonna have to tune it for how you drive it and the track layout. Maybe lean it out in the mid range then richen it up in the uppers depending on where you do the most driving. I'd personally change the AF on track to cool the EGTs vs timing.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man that must have frosted their nuts!
Yeah, that guy packed it in right after that. Too bad.

How did those aluminum welds turn out?
Seem to be fine. None broke if that's what you mean.

I would not run more than 1500F max on stock internals. Maybe 1550, but yeah, no way 1600F. You're just gonna have to tune it for how you drive it and the track layout. Maybe lean it out in the mid range then richen it up in the uppers depending on where you do the most driving. I'd personally change the AF on track to cool the EGTs vs timing.
Ok, that's good. I seemed to be able to get it to 1500 just with a little richening. I'm going to work on the tune and try to reach that with 93 octane and still running 11:1's. I'll save this tune as my "91 Octane Safe tune".

Rod, could I see one of your timing tables? And how much is it affected by other variables? I need to see total timing vs. loads and Rpms. Just get an idea what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Nice P!!! Very cool to see all these FI projects coming together and really start to show some things!!

Danger zone for EGT's is 1600 but personally I'd freak at 1500+ too.. but I'm a worry wart.

Your timing... actually "seems" a bit high if 11 degrees is the "least" your running. I would think the most you'd be running under boost would be 14-18 degrees.

Do you have a J&S yet???

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i thought 11s were pretty rich but do you all run around that?! i have around low 12s..

I plan on bringing it to the track (road racing, not drag) too in the fall so im wondering if I should shoot for that instead..

also is 4000-4500 problematic for some reason? I seem to get a dip in power at those rpms.. could it just be the knock sensor pulling timing around there?

P-51 I know you've been road racing your car for a long time and also been boosted for a while.. what should be looked at as for preparing it for the track.. is there anything that you'd change to make it safer that wouldn't necessarly be needed for normal day to day driving..

i dont mind losing some power but i just want it to be safe on the track.. thanks for the info.. good news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts