Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was just wondering what would contribute to a 12 sec 1/8th mile.. and a 17.8 sec quarter mile @77.8mph

i have a 2001 zx3, the only mods are a cone filter attached to the end of the MAFS. when i ran these times i had a stereo... approx weight 400lbs... me ... 250lbs and a buddy in the car 160lbs ... so i figure curb weight might of been around 3000lbs ... what can i do to improve these times ... like shift points etc ... or could there be a problem with the car other than the excessive weight

thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
with what you have done and the ammount of weight you had in the car that sounds about right. and that filter could be hurting performance. your getting the same amount of air, but slightly higher temps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it a 5 speed or an automagic?

The weight's killing you bud. I've seen quite a few guy's run 17's in near stock Foci. Kick your buddy out, ditch some of the stereo equipment, and work on your technique.

Put recommended factory pressure in your tires, launch at 2200 rpm or so, shift to the next gear at 6000 rpm, and use 4th gear.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im gonna work on the filter problem ... kinda making a home made volant. but as for 60' times ... i believe they were 2.9 sec... and the most success i had was shifting at 5850-6000... i went to like 6200 a couple times but that slowed me down even more,im gonna take out the subs, put on the factory airbox and take the car back to the track and see where that gets me. are there specific shift points for certain gears i should be using. and yup .... my math = terrible ... its unfortunate that i can only take out about 100 lbs of the id say minimum 300 that the stereo has put on...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well because of how rediculous the timing is on the stock focus`s its hard to give you the exact shift points. pull out your spare present your cone
come out of the hole at 3800 feather down then pummel into teh throttle knock off first at 6100 2nd at 5900 and 3rd at 5900. I ran 10.23 on the same setup as you cone filter. 60 foot was 2.399 or around it i think. Its teh [censored] launches. Launches and Wieght also dont love each other. Aww the days of the stock focus and all the poor si`s .. sniff sniff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts