Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i want to know.. should i use fuel injector cleaner?? if so, why? and when should i start using it?? (my car now has 41000 km on it already, that's about 25625 miles)

thanks ppl.

·
Registered
321 Posts
we generally prefer a complete carbon clean down here...To do that they disconnect your fuel connection and connect the engine to a compressor with a cleaning liquid in it. They run the engine (untill the liquid is finished) with that liquid instead of gas.

That is supposed to clean up all your system...

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can go two ways: Add to the gas tank or with an aerosol can in the schraeder valve.

For gas tank additives, choose either Redline Fel System Cleaner (my personal favorite) or Chevron Techtron additive. Pretty much the best two out there. Might cost a little more, but many of the cheapies won't do squat.

As far as aerosol can method, I've never done it myself, but you basically screw the can into the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and run the motor until the can is empty. It's a more concentrated mixture than adding to a full tank of gas and meant for cases where the fuel system is totally gunked up.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I don't think it would hurt the engine. I guess it comes down to what the fuel is like in your area, how full you keep your tank, driving conditions, etc.

If you usually drive your car almost empty, then you'd probably want a cleaning. Crap that settles in your tank would be going through the fuel lines and injectors. If your car is usually full, then you should be okay.

What does the manual say?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i really don't know eather,i have been running cheveron tectron every 2nd oil change,i try to keep in the upper 1/2 of the tank,it will do no harm,and so far,i have had no problems with the fuel system.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My parents ran Techron every 15-20k miles in our '89 Mustang GT since it was new. About 100k miles down the road the injectors were replaced with larger #24 injectors, and the old ones still looked like new! Techron is some good stuff.

[ 10-13-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: PhocusZX3 ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you can believe the Ford service manual:

"The injector is the deposit resistant injection (DRI) type and does not have to be cleaned. However, it can be flow checked and, if found outside of specification, the fuel injector should be replaced."

·
Registered
299 Posts
I throw a bottle of Techron in every time I change the oil. Buy em in 4 packs at Costco.

[ 10-13-2002, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: FocusBoy ]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have always used berrymans fuel injector cleaner. In the focus and contour (tour with over 100K) Stuff works good i think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by GapBoyPCS:
If you usually drive your car almost empty, then you'd probably want a cleaning. Crap that settles in your tank would be going through the fuel lines and injectors. If your car is usually full, then you should be okay.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh, not true ("old wives tale" actually). This would be true if gunk was floating on top of the fuel in the tank, or if the fuel pump was pulling fuel off the top of the load. Crap that settles in your tank is just as likely to get sucked in by the pump with the tank full or empty, since the fuel pump is located at the botton of the tank. Driving around is enough to disturb any garbage in the tank and get it to move around on the bottom of the fuel load, thus giving it a chance to get sucked in by the pump.

Besides, that's why cars have a fuel filter (that gets changed every 30,000 miles).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts