Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got crane cams stage 3 as a gift for my birthday and the person that got them for me messed up and i told her stage 2. right now i have throttle body,race headed,intake,ported intake mani,was wondering what else i might need to use them or should i just send them back and get stage 2.....

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
send em back, go stg 2...stg 3s require much more work 2 make use of (not 2 say 2's suck). 3s need head work 2 relieve clearance probs u WILL run into. not 2 mention those cams thru a stock head w/a few bolt ons is just not the best setup.

we have guys over this way (i'm near md/pa line) that r makin 140whp and ~140tq w/FR (crane) stg 2s easy w/o headwork or exotic manifolds.

good luck, nice bday gift.

-Ult

[ 03-16-2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so stage 2 would be better to use.. and how much head work do i need for stge 3.does nayone no the part number for the ford racing cams that r stage 2 and 3 one of each...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
mcnews has the part #s on their site.

1st u need relief work 2 allow the cams 2 fit...b/c they'll hit the head (interference) b/c of the cams size (and the lack of a rounded edge like the stockers have)...

...but also u really need a full head job or a head pckg 2 make those big cams worth ur while.

-Ult

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ur talking about to make the stage 3 fit.. will i have any problem with the stage 2..i have no clue whats good or bad for motors and just buying thing and learning as im going..

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I was under the impression that the Stage 3 Cranes were comparable to the Stage 2 Crowers.

If so, they are perfectly usable.

- Drew

[ 03-16-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
fr/crane 2s will fit no prob (make sure 2 check lash and shim where necessary)

3s need machining 2 fit.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hey uh I have stage 3 cranes, I've had them for about 3 months now and I haven't had a single problem with them yet. And I didn't have to worry about clearing the head and all that stuff just a drop and go.

So I wouldn't send them back I would just pop those in cause the stage 2's aren't very aggresive at all.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
their close....2 close 4 comfort. i've seen stg 3s hit that have 2 b machined. and besides, the stg 2s r't aggressive?? yeah.... their plenty good as seen in the #s people r gettin this neck of the woods. what does it matter if u have 'aggressive' cams, but no head/int/exh solution 2 warrant it. u guys have 2 get beyond just droppin big stix into a car that has only a few bolt ons or even all the bolt ons. whether u want 2 do topend work or not.

-Ult

·
Registered
473 Posts
i had the stage II's and loved them. i used my car for everyday use, and would try to trade in your stage III's. why? you do have to bore out the lobe clearance to make sure that it clears. they do settle from what i understand, and for everyday use you don't want the aggressive stage III's cams, seriously!! you WILL be stomping the gas alot to enjoy those cams, and gas ain't so cheap right now! i'd go with stage II's and get a full exhaust, and cam gears for now, and work towards headers. I did have the crower though, not the crane, so the III's may be like the stage II crowers, not sure. good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have borla cat back,f/c flex pipe, f/c race hearder,and aem intake pulleys and cam gears,just need to no for sure if i should use them or send them back but thanks for the responce.i was looking at the ford racing ones and the stage 2 r the same for exhaust and intake but the stage ones r different...does any one know the lift of the crowlers... the stage 3 cranes r218 degree and.390"/.390"gross lift if that helps

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
yeah but the stage 3 cranes aren't nearly as aggresive as the stage 2 crowers. Thats what I meant by the stage 2 cranes not being aggressive when compared to the crowers stage 2's thats all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
In a nutshell, you will love the crap out of the crower stage II's, period!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks alot for respond and the guys at mcnews r great. they just must have read this and ask if there anyway they could help.. but thanks ...the only prob is i but them for a local a and a auto and they dont sell crowlers...

·
Registered
204 Posts
i hate to be the fight starter, but the lift on crane(FR) cams (st. 3) is not as aggressive as advertised. 9.9mm(.390)lift-218 dur. on intake. 9.7mm(.382) lift-214 dur. on exhaust.
I have these cams, they do NOT require head machining, and furthermore if anyone has plans to do P&P work these are excellent cams for an aggressive street application. Aside proper lash/bucket adjustments, these cams are direct bolt ins.
I do agree however that many major engine mods are required for these cams to shine.
I have tested crane 2 setup on my car, and was very impressed with the absurd torque display. Both are great cams, but i DO agree that in most applications, crane 2 cams would be the best all around cam profile.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Keep them... enjoy them.... get cam gears....

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
Its not that these cams are to agressive for the street or his application. The 390 lift has clearance problems with the head. The outside edge of the cams will hit. On stock cams you will notice the outside edges are cut to provide extra clearance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what do theses numbers mean.. 218,218 degree at 50 and .390-.390 gross lift.. i looked up crowler stage 2 and crane stage 3 and the nubers where 218-218 @50 and .390-.390 gross lift...crowler stage 2and the numbers where 220-228 @50 and .374-.393 gross lift. agin i have no clue what theses number mean just trying to get some info..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts