Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have decided that I will sacrifice my Saturday morning time for doing oil change myself. It's only once every 3 months anyway.

What kinda of ramps you guys recommend ? Or Oil filter wrench or drain bucket ? Kinda lame request but any advise is appreciated.

=dRe=

·
Registered
288 Posts
you will need a 13MM wrench or socket and ratchet for the drain plug. well i don't know about ramps, my car is too low to even use a regular floor jack with out driving up on a 2x4 first... but the ramps from sears or any auto parts store should suffice... the zetec only holds 4.5 quarts so just about any drain bucket will work. try to get one that will cover the area under the drain plug and under the filter so you can do both at the same time. a band style filter wrench will work, when you go to buy it, get the filter off the shelf then try the wrench on it in the store. then you'll know what size... and for the filter size, as far as motorcraft, it should be a FL-2005, a FL-400s will work as well (may be cheaper, don't know, always bought the 2005) the 2003 and up zetec uses the 400s anyway.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Ramps? What are ramps?

Seriously... on anything other than stock suspension, (including SVT) a ramp isn't gonna happen..... so up on jackstands you go!

You can pick up a big oil pan @ autozone or your local place for pretty cheap.... then take it back there and have em recycle the oil

I have one of those c-clamp style oil filter wrench thingys... works great! Otherwise just puncture it with a screwdriver.... Either way.. pulling the filter is a BIG MESS so have some towels ready. LOTS OF NEWSPAPER TOO! Don't messy the driveway. Cover the axel with a rag or somethign to protect it from the oil that'll come from the filter mess...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looking at my car, it's looks like a no-no for me. The carcept sideskirts are way too low, I can even use my jack to bring it up. Damn it

=dRe=

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
I change my own oil, but for ramps, forget it. My suspension is stock and I can't use the ramps. I just lift the car with a floor jack and jackstands.

As pointed out, if you are dropped, you might want look at just driving up on a 2x4 first, then using the jack. Or build yourself a little pre-ramp out of a couple of 2x4 staggered.

For me personally, I would rather jump through the hoops initially than cough up 25.00+ every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have been using the stock jack. PITA, then puttin it on jack stands. Just get the bucket under there. Get it back a little bit though because the the oil will not just come straight down, it has a little pressure behind it and will go out a little bit. Then i use the wrench to get the filter off, and let it drain for a minute or two. Then on goes the new filter and the plug. In goes the new AMSOIL. LOL Just started using that the other day and its working good so far. They claim you can go 25k with it. I just gotta change the filters. We will see, L8er Jon

·
Registered
482 Posts
You can use ramps on the stock setup, but you need about a foot piece of a 2x4 to put at the front of each ramp. That's what I have to do, anyway.

And as was mentioned, get LOTS of rags as the filter dumps oil right on the drive axle and the side of the block when loosened.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Rhino Ramps will work with stock SVT suspension.

My record oil change time on a ZX3 is 15 minutes... record on an SVT is 20 minutes. Both with hot freeway-temp oil.

Get lots of practice in and it won't eat up your morning time.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Hey Omni - are you busy tonight?? I'm planning to drop the original oil from my car and could use some quick hands. Plus, you might as well get a time in for the PZEV too.

>8^)
ER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts