Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i finally have enough money to get one and was wondering a few things. if i order from one of the sponcers or focus sport will i get all the gaskets and bolts i will need to install it?(already have a o2 cheater)
and i have a hks system which is a little smaller than 2 1/4 inch, and was wondering which size magnaflow resinator would work best with this system because i know there are a bunch of different lengths and core sizes. any one have an idea which size and where would be the best place to buy one? any help would be sweet

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
ok so i finally have enough money to get one and was wondering a few things. if i order from one of the sponcers or focus sport will i get all the gaskets and bolts i will need to install it?(already have a o2 cheater)
and i have a hks system which is a little smaller than 2 1/4 inch, and was wondering which size magnaflow resinator would work best with this system because i know there are a bunch of different lengths and core sizes. any one have an idea which size and where would be the best place to buy one? any help would be sweet
The FS race header does come with the gasket for the flex piece and the necessary hardware for said pieces. We don't provide the gasket for the main flange that connects to the head, however. The factory gasket is VERY good quality and can be re-used several times. As for your other questions, sorry, I don't know, since we don't sell HKS components.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm kinda confused maybe I missed something...you said you have an HKS exhaust system yes? Why do you need a resonator? For you it should go race header, flex, HKS...What did I miss here?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info.
that big resinator so i dont sound like ricey mcgee. alot of people with raceheaders or just no cat have it i think. anyone know more info about it?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Resonator to keep the noise down.

Hold off on the race header... get the 4-2-1 like I'm gonna!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eh ive been wanting it for so long it i need it now. anyone about the resonator?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
infared:

The HKS has a 55mm (2.165 in) diameter pipe.If you want stainless, Magnaflow's closest one is a 2.25 in diameter with a 14 in body.(#14415) Magnaflow makes an aluminized steel resonator with 2.25 inlets in a 22 inch body.(#10435) I know that some guys fit 6 in diameter resonators too for max silencing.

I have an HKS system too. It is an absolute work of art.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have the stock shorty header, FC off road pipe, FS flex pipe, and the HKS catback.. I am gonna get the FS race header soon.

you dont need a resonator..

The HKS exhaust already has 2 mufflers and a resonator already..

why do you need another one???

my exhaust only gets loud when I punch it..but even then my AEM CAI stomps the exhaust sound to smithereens in the higher RPM range.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What header is better, the 4-2-1 or the 4-1? Power difference? Sound Difference?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
the 4-2-1 should lead to more torque... the 4-1 to more top end HP. Pure speculation right now cuz the numbers have yet to be released...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
infared:

The HKS has a 55mm (2.165 in) diameter pipe.If you want stainless, Magnaflow's closest one is a 2.25 in diameter with a 14 in body.(#14415) Magnaflow makes an aluminized steel resonator with 2.25 inlets in a 22 inch body.(#10435) I know that some guys fit 6 in diameter resonators too for max silencing.

I have an HKS system too. It is an absolute work of art.
so where do i order one of these? direct from magnaflow or should i go somewhere else? also these are the 5 inch diameter ones right?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the stock shorty header, FC off road pipe, FS flex pipe, and the HKS catback.. I am gonna get the FS race header soon.

you dont need a resonator..

The HKS exhaust already has 2 mufflers and a resonator already..

why do you need another one???

my exhaust only gets loud when I punch it..but even then my AEM CAI stomps the exhaust sound to smithereens in the higher RPM range.
i have the hks with bosal flex with random tech cat and stock maifold and i can imagine how much louder it will be with no cat. i just dont want to take a chance, plus im not a fan of super loud and i think it will be too loud for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Infared:

Iceman does have a point. The HKS already have a resonator.It would probably be a shame to hack up the HKS. Maybe try the FS header with the HKS the way it is and see what it sounds like first.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Found this on Steeda's site:

In this test we compared the JBA shorty header vs. 4-into-1 and 4-into-2-into-1 Long Tube Racing Headers.

Engine Configuration:
stock ZX3 2.0L bottom end, heads and intake
Steeda short air intake
65mm throttle
Stock camshafts intake retarded 4° exhaust retarded 6°
adjustable cam gears
Steeda stainless steel "cat-back" exhaust
underdrive pulleys
computer chip

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know i dont wanna hack up the hks but i dont want to be nasty honda loud, which is what im afraid of. i dont wanna be stuck farting around for a week waiting for a resonator to come, or maybe ill wait for the 4-2-1 to come out.
anyone else with the hks and race header wanna comment?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Found this on Steeda's site:

In this test we compared the JBA shorty header vs. 4-into-1 and 4-into-2-into-1 Long Tube Racing Headers.

Engine Configuration:
stock ZX3 2.0L bottom end, heads and intake
Steeda short air intake
65mm throttle
Stock camshafts intake retarded 4° exhaust retarded 6°
adjustable cam gears
Steeda stainless steel "cat-back" exhaust
underdrive pulleys
computer chip
A TQ measurement on that woulda been helpful... but I bet that the 4-2-1 has a better torque profile....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Infared:

Iceman does have a point. The HKS already have a resonator.It would probably be a shame to hack up the HKS. Maybe try the FS header with the HKS the way it is and see what it sounds like first.
It sure would be a shame! Dont even think about it! The resonator in place already is as good or better than any magnaflow you'll find. If your set on magnaho...then sell the HKS, and get a regular magnaflow cat back and install the resonator in that. I'm sure the HKS will still be quieter though....or you could buy my apex'i

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
i know i dont wanna hack up the hks but i dont want to be nasty honda loud, which is what im afraid of. i dont wanna be stuck farting around for a week waiting for a resonator to come, or maybe ill wait for the 4-2-1 to come out.
anyone else with the hks and race header wanna comment?
If you dont want nasty farts taking the cat off a four banger is not the plan you should take. You can muffle the farts and pops all you want, but they'll still be there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks to everyones input. i think im gonna try and hold off for the fs 4-2-1, hopefully i can wait. i'll have to wait and see then about the farting and popping and hopefully its not as bad as i think its gonna be, but yeah the 2 mufflers and little resinator is alot to begin with, ill have to wait and see. but thanks again to everyone for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts