Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hasn't happened in awhile, but under REALLY hard braking, my ABS actually caused me to run wide in a corner, with pedal held all the way down. I'm used to dragging the inside front wheel through a corner in past cars. Anyone tried autocrossing with the fuse pulled?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i don't have ABS on my car, and i liked it a LOT better than when i drove an SVTF at an autocross last month. i couldn't imagine driving with it on. when i drive my friend's Jetta GLX i tend to brake a lot less because i don't want to get into the ABS zone.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Dave don't start this on me........now how did ABS cause you to run wide?

you can smack me back on the side of the head, but it sounds like......maximum braking, ABS invoked, 110% of traction used to slow the car, -10% grip available for turning the car, hence wiiiiiiiiiide.

If the pasta is overcooked, blame the cook, not the pot

runs as rheacer whizzes rotten fruit by my head

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have Advancetrac and race with the t/c and yaw control off (the ABS stays on). I love having it--which is a big reason that I spent the money for the A-trac in the first place. I got used to ABS driving an exteremely well setup ESP Cobra and have not looked back since.

It maybe takes a little getting used to, but I think that I can brake deeper than without it in most cases.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Murph.
Just a thought. Seriously, I MIGHT have overcooked the corner, anyway, but what I was getting at, I like the feel of being able to hold the brakes just short of lockup going into some corners. As the weight moves to outside, Just enough drag to see a whisp of smoke off the inside tire lets me know I'm at the limit. The loaded outside is still rolling and car seems to pivot better. Kinda like a dirt tracker might not run any right brake at all. Also, maybe, makes the rears tad more effective, as suddenly they are called on to do more braking, as some of the dive goes out of the ever-so-sliding...but not skidding..front end.
Does that make sense? Sure, with ABS you can still steer in a straight line, and drive around somethings (I did miss most of the cones
), but you can't really corner.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Focus ABS has EBD so it is highly unlikely that you will get more effect from the rear brakes in a non-ABS equipped car.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
THANK YOU for bringing this up.

I firmly believe there is some bad software in the SVT Focus ABS system.

Wait... stop rolling your eyes at me!!

Seriously. I've helped my friend Blue-73 with his driving in his SVT Focus. I insisted for quite a while that it was the driver and not the car causing the problem. Later on I DROVE the car, and repeatedly tried to enter a corner like I do in my Focus... Nada. The moment the inside rear lifts into the air, the ABS DISABLES the brakes completely, and you end up with no braking, pushing wide into the corner. I made it do it over and over. In my Focus, I've never had this issue.

So, as a result, we ended up disabling the ABS system and the problem was solved... You can brake deep into a corner with the inside wheel gently lifted without worries of the ABS.

Now.. I've autocrossed Vettes, Mustangs, and M3s where the ABS was predictable and usable, so I understand that not all cars are this way, but the ABS in that particular SVTF was not compatible with my standard Focus driving.

????

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
So, does the SVT have a Different system for ABS than the Front Disc/Rear Drum set-up?
On My S2, if you get into the ABS, you may well be done for, but it only kicks in when you've truly over-cooked the corner anyway.
I've seen PRO Auto-X'ers drive a Student's Bullitt Mustang at a School Event, and find the ABS to be a DISASTER, while having No Problems with it in My Car.
3-Wheels? No Problem w/ the ABS at ALL.
Is the SVT System so different?

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I don't know, but i've never noticed the abs when autoXing....and I can't say i'm doing bad (Lorin or Rob can, all day long.
) But Lorin, did u notice it that much? Maybe sometime in the slush series your going to have to try my car out.....maybe its just Rob's ABS that hates the track, mine I don't even notice. But maybe its just not something I'm paying attention to when flinging the car around the cones......

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
The SVT hydraulics and control module is the same. Most likely what you are experiencing is the background, non-defeatable tracion control. Focus ABS is great.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Focus ABS is great.
I concur. My Advancetrac system does exactly what I expect it to do--which is also why it gets turned off, so only the ABS is "on"

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The SVT hydraulics and control module is the same. Most likely what you are experiencing is the background, non-defeatable tracion control. Focus ABS is great.
I would agree, but it isn't a winter package car... So no TC.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I know this is a little hard to swallow but it is exactly as Omni says. He was pretty skeptical that it was something I was doing until he drove it himself but the problem can be repeated over and over again. If you have a possible solution for the problem other than pulling the fuses, ideas are welcome, but just to answer this post pulling all three of the ABS fuses completely solves the problem but does leave lights on on your dash.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Omni and Blue
I knew it wasn't just me!

I managed the same thing in my Contour SVT. It allows you to steer in a straight line and avoid something right in front of you, but forget turning the car. I have the winter package, also, and find it may help in the rain (not much snow in SE Tennessee.) PITA on hills, too. (Like my driveway) Do like the heated seats, though

BTW, Lorin. Where are you staying in Topeka? We haven't made reservations yet.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
BTW, Lorin. Where are you staying in Topeka? We haven't made reservations yet.
Honestly, I'm not sure... I'm playing tagalong and my parents are getting the hotel. They will be there in an F-Stock SVT Cobra.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess we're staying at the ComfortInn on Wanamaker. What day are y'all going over? We plan to get there Mon and run th/fr

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
We are getting there Saturday so we can do the practice event on Sunday. I want to get my shocks/pressures dialed in early this time.

LAST time we stayed at some place on Wanamaker.. That's all I recall.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm an econoracer, so can only afford 1 session
(If I'd get rid of the Mustang, but SOLO I is so much fun, too)
We'll be watching for y'all Tues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts