Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my focus out for the first time in about two months. I have a Mustang GT which is my daily driver, but being as gas prices are so high I would like to go back to the focus, even if it turbocharged. Anyways, the kit is a homebuilt kit tuned by Tom. My specs are in my signature. I had stopped driving the focus because I felt my EGT temperatures were too high and unsafe. Under any kind of good throttle, it will easily creep up past 1425 degrees. So I parked it, till I had some time to work on it some more.

A couple of days ago I read P-51's post about his WTA intercooler being plumbed in and working. He stated how his charge tubing before the intercooler was very hot to the touch after some thrashing but the charge tubing after the intercooler seemed to be as cool as the ambient air.

That's what made me take mine out today. I wanted to see if mine was that effective. Well, after a bit of hard driving, I can say it is certainly not. The charge piping both before and after the intercooler seems to be the same temperature, literally...and that temperature is HOT...uncomfortable to the touch. I opened up my resevoire and the coolant was almost hot, not too hot to touch, but hot nonetheless. What gives guys?

I am running the same Teel pump which Demonfire is running (I velieve) successfully on his vortech as a recommendation from me. I have a Snow performance WI tank, not the WI, just the tank, which is tapped with fittings for a resevoire. It holds roughly a gallon. I am running a B&M bar and plate trans cooler under the bumper to cool it. There are no kinks...everything flows well.

I cannot figure out why mine is so hot...it is almost as if there is no intercooler at all. Just another problem on top of the already too hot EGTs. What a headache. Any ideas guys for the EGTs or ACTs? I do not want to blow the motor, nor do I want to put it back to stock...I do want it reliable though, hopefully with some better gas mileage than the mustang.

Demonfire, I'd imagine yours is more effective?

Paul

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Is the pump working? If so what kind of flow does it have? I wonder if you have some blockage somewhere? That would be the first place to look IMO.

Are you able to data log your IATs? If so, what are they? If you don't have a data logger, maybe it's time to move up to the XCal2. Check out the FS Pro Racer forum for special pricing for current Pro Racer owners.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a datalogger, bought a used Raptor from someone here on this board not too long ago ;-)...have not logged IAT yet though. I will have to do that. I do not remember the flow numbers of the pump, though I do know it works. I opened the lid to the resevoire and it was flowing like crazy. Seems to move some good volume aat a good rate.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
And your exchanger large enough and is exposed to good air flow?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My resevoire holds a little over a gallon. My heat exchanger is mounted where most folks put their ATA intercoolers under the bumper to the side of the license plate so no flow is obstructed. Like I said, the pump flows just fine. I opened the lid to the resevoire and there was a lot flowing through. The problem might be that the pump flows TOO well, and the water never has a chance to sit in the exchanger long enough to cool itself down. Just a thought though.

Paul

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Yes but wouldn't high egt's be more of a sign that the car is either running lean, or rich to the point that the un burnt fuel from combustion is burning in the manifold?

Would it be affected by an air charge that is too hot?

That would more likely cause detonation I'm not so sure if it would cause high egt's.

I'll ask the turbpo expert here at work for you and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
That theory is arguable. P-51 just made a statement about a pump flowing "too much." I'm more of a put it on and test it kind of guy, but I would seriously doubt the pump is flowing faster than the exchanger will allow to efficiently cool the charge.

Again, though, did this system seem to work well in the past? Was there a turning point? How bout feeling the PWR core as I was saying?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The core is just as hot as the charge piping both before and after it. I cannot say how well the system performed because aside from the tuning session at Toms and a very easy ride home which I did not get on it, the car has been parked. I parked it because of the hight EGTs so I cannot say whether or not it performed like this before. No components have changed, so I do not think it is any better or worse than before, just still not good enough. I'd like to look into the heat exchanger that P51 bought...the powerworks one if I can get it seperately as well as the lightning pump, since both parts are made for automotive FI, not cooling a transmission and bilging water from a boat. I just want this car done and able to be safely driven and romped on.

Paul

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
When did I say a pump flowed too much? I've always denied that theory.

First thing, just how much power are you talking about?

Secondly, I'm thinking that PWR core isn't effective. I'm not a big fan of those things.

Third, your front heat exchanger is too small and maybe not efficient. This is a huge part of the formula, that many drag racing types overlook. It should be sized so it can remain cool, steady state, and not need a reservoir for 1/4 mile blasts.

·
Banned
2,246 Posts
Why is the manifold taking a thrashing? From the temps or...?
Ya, I believe so. I've pushed it hard enough to see numbers you don't want to hear me mention

There's nothing I can do about it right now, so I just keep a close eye on everything. It's still running strong as hell...you remember how many miles I had when we tuned it? I'm pretty sure I've broken the 10k mark.

I just don't see much point in more dyno time right now until I get the money to finish the engine and tune it again a third time, I figure if it can take TWO almost 2000 mile trips running hard then it'll be fine with me tooling around town for a few more months.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When did I say a pump flowed too much? I've always denied that theory.

First thing, just how much power are you talking about?

Secondly, I'm thinking that PWR core isn't effective. I'm not a big fan of those things.

Third, your front heat exchanger is too small and maybe not efficient. This is a huge part of the formula, that many drag racing types overlook. It should be sized so it can remain cool, steady state, and not need a reservoir for 1/4 mile blasts.
I am not making a lot of power...171HP 177TQ. There is much more to be found with timing and fuel, but until I can get a wideband and J&S I am not going to push my luck. I hope it is not the PWR core...those suckers are not cheap. Though I still cannot imaging that the PWR is doing nothing, though it seems like it being as pre/post IC charge tubing seem to be the same temp. I agree that a big part is the heat exchanger being too small. How did you acquire a powerworks one and where, how much?
Paul

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Paul I still think you might be experiencing a timing and or fuel curve issue. Or possibly excessive back pressure in the exhaust system. Something other than what was already mentioned is probably going on to cause those insanely high egt's. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I have a little experience on turbo build ups and I have a pretty good understanding of basic datalogging.

You are not to far away from me. If you want me to take a look at the car on sunday or any time you are free I'd be more than willing to lend a hand. I think we need to take a better look at what's going on. We need to check out your timing, a/f ratio, and knock sensor, as well as ait sensor readings. Something has to be wrong other than heat exchanger issues.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
^^^^ Nice of you to offer.

Paul,
Data logging will start to explain things better, you can bet on that.
My experience involves observing data using the ford Wds. Which actually is awesome for picking up on problems of this or any kind.

The only thing is we would have to meet up at my dealership during work hours and could only use it when it's not needed. But we would only need that if you didn't already have the raptor data logger.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
invest a few dollars in some thermocouples. moniter temp in and out of the intercooler. Thats a good base to start changing things around and seeing what works and how well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts