Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
When the AC is turned on, the compressor audibly turns on and off every 2 seconds or so. The AC will eventually cool the car down, but it takes 20 to 30 minutes to do so. Also this messes with the idle speed as when the compressor clutch kicks on, the RPMs need to go up, but they can't settle back down by the time that the clutch turns back off.
I wasn't sure where the problem was so I replaced the AC relay with a solid wire (so that it is always on, regardless of the AC button). The air is COLD and it cools the car down in less than 5 minutes (working as it normally did).

My question: What controls the AC relay? It seems to be turning on/off every 2 seconds which comprimises the air coldness, and the physical AC system looks to be fine.
Thanks!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
You have "fast cycling" The pressure sensor controls the relay. You've probably got a leak in your A/C system somewhere, because the most common cause of this symptom is low refrigerant levels.

Wired the way you wired it, you risk freezing your evaporator over (the part inside the car that cools the air off)

Also, I think the compressor will run non-stop even if the A/C isn't on when you hook it up that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thats a p.i.t.a.

There could be low refigerant levels even if the air can still get very cold? Wouldn't low refrig levels lead to inefficient cooling?

oh well, thanks for the quick response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts