Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have this combo, do you ever have difficulty going into 3rd gear, especially at higher revs when you wanna shift a bit faster?

I have a this combo and it goes into every gear but 3rd super smooth, easy and fast.

But when i go to third at any rpm, it just feels harder to put it in gear, and if i do it fast enough at it makes a very slight, clean, smooth grind sound, especially at higher RPM.

It doesnt sound like a bad syncro or anything, i had it ALL rebuilt, but its weird, it seems almost like the clutch doesnt wanna release fast enough, cause if you go slower, it doesnt grind at all, but is still harder to put it in gear, it kinda pauses.

Now, when i got the ACT clutch, i noticed that the disk is ALOT thicker then stock or other clutches...

after closer inspection, we also realized that the pressure plate had not been GROUND down to accomodate the thicker disk, so maybe its just not releasing fast enough because its a thicker disk and the plate is pretty much stock size...

Could this be it? If so, im gonna be mad and im gonna call ACT and let em know, because if they realy tested and designed the piece, they would have matched the pressure plate to the disk, because the disk is out of a Twin Turbo RX7 and its thick

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same one u do

heavy duty presure plate
stock

and street disk(rx7 tt)

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eric, i think it has maybe something to do with the flywheel/clutch combo

wheres carizma, i think he has this setup

Damnit, maybe the shifter isnt lined up or something....i hate goin slow to 3rd, it made me lose to a nice little m3

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Just so you know as a point of reference. Ever since getting my flywheel/quaife installed. My shifter throws seem MUCH shorter and tighter. So it very well could be that flywheel/clutch combo.

I can't tell you why it is that way, just know that my shifting has been effected as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts