Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here hoping my bonus check will get here soon so I can order my Volant, I've been searching through all the posts from happy customers, and drooling. Except for one thing. It always seems like the the rubber gasket that seals against the hood looks kinked or twisted or just not right. Is there any reason you cant ditch the gasket altogether, and make a shield to cover the top, that could be easily removed to clean the filter? I'm using a couple of Ed_cloud9's dress up parts, and thought a similer piece would be perfect. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
get the FC hood if you can swing it, opens right up and you don't have to worry about it sealing against the hood. I have a funny feeling that it might hurt performance to have the top closed, anyone else with me on this??

·
Registered
436 Posts
Other than reducing the volume of air readily available to the intake I don't see how it could affect performance. However, I like the way the blue filter looks. Just trim the gasket carefully, it does have some play built into though. If you do cut it an inch too short you can just not seat it as well. Measure twice, cut once!
Of course, a piece of sheet metal sitting on top with something airbrushed on it would either be:
A) Sweeeeeeet!
or
B) Rice!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really crazy about the looks of the FC Hood, or that would be the answer.
Now I took it that the only reasons for the opening on top of the Volant was (1) to change the filter, and (2) to mate up with a ram air hood. I really don't think sealing it with a shield would alter performance in any way, since the bottom of the hood is in fact, sealing the opening off whenever it is closed. In fact, seem to remember someone mentioning that they saw a Volant on a mustang, and it had a cool plexi shield over the filter. I really don't think it relies on any air fed thru the top, since it uses the stock front snorkle, and also incorperates the right side tude as a secondary air inlet. Or was this just an assumption on my part, and we all know what happens to you and umption in that case!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I cut out a tin no parking sign with some tin snips to fit right into the middle of that sealer stuff and then I polished it and painted it, no real gains but My filter isnt sucking up the dirt from the sound dampener on the hood...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts