Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How obnoxiously loud will this be? I've got a feeling it's gonna be pretty damn loud, but, in all reality, I don't care, just interested in seeing if folks may know how loud this could get.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
loud a hell. the flowmaster cat back does not have a resonator on it.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Flowmaster system is a custom built system using a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I got it done by a friend at a local muffler shop.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
holy [censored] dude..DO NOT DO IT!!!

I just did it 3 days ago.... imagine a weedwacker x eleventy billion.

If you like, call me, i will get on the phone and let you hear for yourself. This is why I have already ordered my Trubendz borla setup, with the biggest resonator they could fit in there.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy [censored] dude..DO NOT DO IT!!!

I just did it 3 days ago.... imagine a weedwacker x eleventy billion.

If you like, call me, i will get on the phone and let you hear for yourself. This is why I have already ordered my Trubendz borla setup, with the biggest resonator they could fit in there.
Thanks for the info, I'm probably still gonna get the header and flex, since I'm getting such a sweet deal on it, and I am sorta looking for a loud, aggresive sounding exhaust setup. I'll throw it on there, see what it sounds like, and make my decision from there as to whether it's too loud or not.

Anyone else running a race header with a cat-back without a resonator? What's your opinion of the noise level?

·
3,602 Posts
It is not aggressive sounding if that is what your looking for. I ran an open header for 1/2 a day, and the flowmaster/race header is 3 times louder than that. Its not a deep tone at all, its straight high pitched noise (think lawn mower with an echo tip) But, Im getting my new exhaust tomorrow, so all is good.

·
Registered
742 Posts
All you wussies who put huge resonators in your systems suck! It probably won't even be as obnoxiously loud as everyone is saying, just do it and find out for yourself.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
A while back someone said he installed a Race Header with the Flowmaster 60 series Delta Flow mufflers and he said he could barely hear the exhaust. But your 40 series is probably much louder.

It's gonna be loud dude. I have 2 resonators on my system with a catalytic converter and my Vibrant is still loud as hell.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A while back someone said he installed a Race Header with the Flowmaster 60 series Delta Flow mufflers and he said he could barely hear the exhaust. But your 40 series is probably much louder.

It's gonna be loud dude. I have 2 resonators on my system with a catalytic converter and my Vibrant is still loud as hell.
I've heard the Vibrant is damn loud. Also, I was looking under my car today, and it turns out, my, Flowmaster is not a 40 series, it's a 50 series. I was wrong, it's been a while since I got it done, and it has quieted down since the day it was installed. I don't think it'll be too bad, but I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when I get the header and flex.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For sure. It probably won't be til around Sept 10th or so when I can get the parts and then do the work.

·
3,602 Posts
My buddy has a flowmaster on his focus. It sounds like ass even without the race header.
It depends what muffler you get, if you get one designed for a mustang or other V8, it does sound like ass. If you get the one designed for sport compacts, it sounds great. I have a friend that has a sedan with a mustang flowmaster, it does sound like ass.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My buddy has a flowmaster on his focus. It sounds like ass even without the race header.
It depends what muffler you get, if you get one designed for a mustang or other V8, it does sound like ass. If you get the one designed for sport compacts, it sounds great. I have a friend that has a sedan with a mustang flowmaster, it does sound like ass.
Exactly. It's all about what the muffler is designed for. I think my current setup sounds pretty good, and the race header and flex will only make it sound even better, more agressive, which is exactly what I'm going for.

·
3,602 Posts
Thats exactly what i thought when i put on my race header. The flowmaster setup i have is the one for sport compacts (the ZX3 kit), it sounded bad ass up until i put the header on.

I dont think you will be happy with the results, but a resonator is pretty cheap if you want to keep the same exhaust.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where would one look to purchase a resonator? I've never had to deal with them before, but if I do have to get one for my exhaust system, I can weld it up myself. I just need to know where to get one.

·
3,602 Posts
Im sure one of FJ's sponsors has one. Local muffler shops should have them in stock as well. Usually 100 bucks installed, at least that is what my local shop wanted to charged.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Magnaflow has resonators. People seem to like them very much. And if the sound isn't too your liking try the Flowmaster Delta Flow 60 series. Should have a much more IMPORT sound too it than the 40 or 50 series.

·
3,602 Posts
Yes, magnaflow is the most common resonator. I have one on my new trubendz borla, it takes the raspyness out of it, and sounds badass. If your going to put the raceheader on with the flowmaster, then i highly recommend the resonator.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the approximate cost on a Magnaflow resonator? And, can I order them straight from Magnaflow? Also, if I put a resonator in, I need one with 2 inch inlet and outlet, preferably one I can weld into the midpipe between the flex and the muffler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts