Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, bear with me here... stupid question.

I know little (or nothing) about setting advance/delay on Cam Gears... I'm having the Adjustable Gears installed on Monday. Should I have them set at a "standard" setting other than Zero adjustment right off? That is, after reading the now infamous Sport Compact Focus article, where they say they used "...-3 degrees on the intake cam..." and "...0 degrees " on exhaust.
see( http://sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0105scc_projfocus/ )

I'm wondering should I just go with their settings until I can get to a dyno? Or what? How is this done? Will the mechanic know what it means that I want -3 on intake and 0 on exhaust?

Thx.

K.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Every car is different, if you can't get on a dyno right away, just put em at 0,0. Drive it around and see what it feels like, if it's ok with you, just leave em, if u think it can be better, just start tweakin. I started with the exhaust (front) one and advanced it one degree at a time then drove it around. It's very very unscientific, but you can usually get rid of a slight flutter or clean up your idle a bit. Once you get done with the exhaust, mess with the intake. It's really just for fun, I had mine where I thought they felt best, then dyno'd it and came up with completely different numbers. Mine ended up being set at -2,-3. Best bet is get it on a dyno. Mine cost $125 and they let me tune and keep pullin, did 9 pulls in about 1/2 hr then let it cool down and did one more before my hour was up. Adjusting cam gears, once you get used to it, takes less than 30 seconds, so go ahead and play with it. I woulnd't recommend going over 5 or 6 degrees in either direction. Good luck, you'll love your new car. Later doods

g

1 - 2 of 2 Posts