Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Adjustable rear swaybar???

I will be taking with a manufacturer of suspension components this week (for the second time) regarding getting an adjustable rear bar for the Focus. It will have rod-end bearings on the bar side, and we are still determining if we can do rod-ends on the control arm side as well--otherwise it will have a poly bushing on the arm side. I am thinking either 7/8" (22.4mm?) or 15/16" (24mm?)diameter at this point. Thoughts?

Who would be interested in someting like this? I have not talked prices yet, but would guess $175-200.

I am going to look into getting custom front endlinks made with rod-ends as well.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Adjustable Rear Swaybar. Interested?

No one has ANYTHING to say about this? Jeez, I was figuring that anyone who does not race in a "stock" class would think that this was a cool idea...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

It is a cool idea. But for me, its way above my skill level of setting up my car. I have enough to worry about with tire pressures and Koni adjustables.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Hey I'm "way" interested
......I would want a 24mm with three positions for less rate.......but I suppose someone much smarter than I could come up with an endlink system that could effectively "shorten" a smaller bar for more rate with a little less weight?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

ya i would be interested as hell, either 24 or maybe 25?

·
Registered
631 Posts

I'm Interested!
I personally would like to see an adjustable sway with 3 settings and adjustable endlinks(similarly to those used on Miatas or Minis).
With the following settings:

Setting 1 , hole at end of bar, would have equivalent torsional stiffness as an Eibach rear sway for street use and added roll resistance over stock.

Setting 2 , middle hole, open track setting for added stiffness but still stable in high speed turns

Setting 3 , holes closest to pivot point, Autoxcross setting for extreme & easy on/off gas rotation at lower speeds,
compared to those seen at open track events

If someone could make a bar that did all this, I’d be all over it!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

I'm Interested!
I personally would like to see an adjustable sway with 3 settings and adjustable endlinks(similarly to those used on Miatas or Minis).

Setting 1 , hole at end of bar, would have equivalent torsional stiffness as an Eibach rear sway for street use and added roll resistance over stock.

Setting 2 , middle hole, open track setting for added stiffness but still stable in high speed turns

Setting 3 , holes closest to pivot point, Autoxcross setting for extreme & easy on/off gas rotation at lower speeds,

So setting one would be the equivilant of a ~24mm bar?

Setting 2 ~26mm bar?
Setting 3 ~29mm bar?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I'm Interested!

Paypal is waiting for something like that!

·
Registered
631 Posts

I'm Interested!

So setting one would be the equivilant of a ~24mm bar?

Setting 2 ~26mm bar?
Setting 3 ~29mm bar?

Well, it’s a combined effect of sway bar diameter (torsional stiffness) and length of level arm (end arm length) that add up to make this effect possible! If properly designed, I believe/know this can be accomplished!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

I'm actually going to go the other way.

I'd like a bar with a maximum effective stiffness of 25mm, and go down from there. I've got a 25mm bar right now, and I think it's pretty much the limit of what is reasonable for stiffness in the rear.

I think if you try to go much higher, you're really loading the rear suspension and the swaybar just really dominates all the other forces. It's almost like you removed your springs and shocks and turned your rear suspension into a really stiff torsion beam suspension.

Also, you're REALLY asking for trouble by straining the rear control arms over design intent.

Roll bars are supposed to supplement the springs to prevent roll, they aren't supposed to overpower the springs. If you need that much roll stiffness, you should probably be using stiffer springs.

I think a bar that goes from 25 to 20 would be better. Then you actually install a smaller front bar. Now with the smaller front bar and 25mm rear, you have a really tailhappy autocross setup, and then you can tame it by going 20 for the street.

But just really cranking up the rear bar seems like a mistake to me.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'd like a bar with a maximum effective stiffness of 25mm, and go down from there. I've got a 25mm bar right now, and I think it's pretty much the limit of what is reasonable for stiffness in the rear.

I think if you try to go much higher, you're really loading the rear suspension and the swaybar just really dominates all the other forces. It's almost like you removed your springs and shocks and turned your rear suspension into a really stiff torsion beam suspension.

Also, you're REALLY asking for trouble by straining the rear control arms over design intent.

Roll bars are supposed to supplement the springs to prevent roll, they aren't supposed to overpower the springs. If you need that much roll stiffness, you should probably be using stiffer springs.

I think a bar that goes from 25 to 20 would be better. Then you actually install a smaller front bar. Now with the smaller front bar and 25mm rear, you have a really tailhappy autocross setup, and then you can tame it by going 20 for the street.

I was thinking along the lines of 25/23/21 as well. I have left several messages for the manufaturer to call me back this week--he did mention last week that he was going to be relatively busy this week and would be hard to get ahold of... I hope to have some additonal insight for ya'll soon. Cheers- EGB

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Thank you.......eeeeeesh there was a wave of "bigger,
stiffer, gnarlier is better" disease there for minute

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

My paranoid self is still freaked out from those pictures of that sedan with a broken control arm...

My car will probably no longer be in H stock around January, and I'd totally love the idea of a 25/23/21 bar... My car is willing enough to rotate with a 20mm rear bar, so I don't want to go overkill.

Besides.. Have you HEARD the sounds the stock bar makes at full suspension articulation?
Of course... I should stop off-roading my Focus.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Yeah, here's the deal:

Just make a 23mm bar, with the hole in teh regular location. Then one inboard hole, and one outboard hole. That way you have the 23mm middle ground, and the link doesn't need to stray too car from vertical.

Actually dammit... this was something I wanted to make.
Oh well. You snooze you lose.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Actually dammit... this was something I wanted to make.
Oh well. You snooze you lose.
Competition breeds better prices and products.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Personally, I don't care who makes it.. JUST MAKE IT

(oh and make it right)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

8/9/03

Talked with my manufacturer contact today. Going to send him an OE bar on Monday so he has spec's to work with. Before doing the math, initial thought is to use 15/16"(24mm) diameter bar stock with the "middle" hole being at the OE setting and have one hole "stiffer" and one "looser"; the other reasonable option is to use 7/8" (22.4mm) bar stock...

I didnt ask, but I suppose we could go with 15/16" and have that rate at the tightest setting and then go loose +1 and loose +2.

Thoughts from the engineering types--or engineering wannabees.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts