Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15/16" diameter (24mm).

Will be installing today (hopefully)

I have added an additional jam nut to what you see here...

I was given these numbers from the manufacturer as force references:

OE SVT bar: 323 pounds per inch of deflection
Adj Soft: 390.7
Adj Mid: 454.1
Adj stiff: 534.3

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Re: Adjustable rear swaybar prototype photos

Now that we have some pics of this thing, can we get a description of how it works?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

Now that we have some pics of this thing, can we get a description of how it works?
My guess is, if you want a thin-like bar, attach the endlink to the furthest hole. If you want a stiff like bar, attach it to the inner hole.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My guess is, if you want a thin-like bar, attach the endlink to the furthest hole. If you want a stiff like bar, attach it to the inner hole.
I believe that you are correct, sir. I will double-check that theory, however.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Is that a solid or hollow bar? If it is solid that thing must weight a lot! Looks good though. My understanding of how it works is the same, inner hold stiff, outer hole soft.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Is that a solid or hollow bar? If it is solid that thing must weight a lot! Looks good though. My understanding of how it works is the same, inner hold stiff, outer hole soft.
Solid. I would guess its as heavy as the Eibach (25mm) give or take a few oz.'s...

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Nice Erik!!! Can't wait to here what you think on it!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Nice! I want one!

What is the actual bar diameter? I'm trying to relate those stiffnesses to the Eibach rear bar.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Nice! I want one!

What is the actual bar diameter? I'm trying to relate those stiffnesses to the Eibach rear bar.
Look at the initial post for deflection ratings; it is 15/16" (24mm)...

·
Registered
631 Posts

Man that looks really nice for prototype! Can't wait to hear your review.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Duh, sorry!

Ok, so is it 24 with one setting softer, and one stiffer? Is the middle hole the same distance from the bar as the stock hole? (ei: in the middle hole, it's the same stiffness as a 24mm non-adjustable bar would be?)

Basically, I was hoping for a bar with a max effective stiffness of 25, with two softer. 24 +1/-1 would be basically it.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Duh, sorry!

Ok, so is it 24 with one setting softer, and one stiffer? Is the middle hole the same distance from the bar as the stock hole? (ei: in the middle hole, it's the same stiffness as a 24mm non-adjustable bar would be?)

Basically, I was hoping for a bar with a max effective stiffness of 25, with two softer. 24 +1/-1 would be basically it.
My stock bar is still at the manufacturer's place, but that is the gist of what I asked him to do. If you'd like , I can measure the distance from the "bend" to ther middle hole--or all three for that matter.

I'll get the OE bar back next week and some tastey new front endlinks too

CONFIRMED: The hole closest to the bend IS the stiffest setting, the further-out hole is the least stiff setting; in other words the longer the arm, the less stiff the bar becomes...

·
Registered
387 Posts

1) What is the distance between the holes?
2) How long is it from centerline of the "long portion" (does that make sense? to the center of the first hole?

I'mo check this baby out in detail and compare to my own figures for various bars.

And yes - the shorter the arm that attaches the end of the bar to the suspension, the stiffer the setting. The holes way out on the end = soft. Think of it this way - the suspension gets a bigger "cheater bar" to bend the bar that way, so that makes it softer. The suspension has greater mechanical advantage to bend the bar when it gets to use the long arm setting.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Ok, here I go:

Based on my theoretical calculations using geometry, I had the SVT rear bar (21mm) at 365 lb/in. I see below that your manufacturer measured it at 323. Excellent - real numbers are great to have. So this hopefully gives me a correction factor on my calculations, which I will use for the following numbers:

25mm Eibach bar = 649 lb/in
24mm = 551
23mm = 464
22mm = 389
SVT = S2 = 21mm = 323 measured by you.
20mm = ZX3 = 266

Ideally, I'd like to see your fabricator measure a stock 20mm bar and a 25mm Eibach bar to really box in this data. Do you have these available?

So, comparing to your measured numbers for your new bar, it looks like you have a range from 22 to 24mm.

Erik, if you can get those dimensions in my previous post, I could do more math. Actually, if you don't mind (I don't know if you are looking to sell these and thus keep the dimensions secret (until one of us buys one and then measures the hell out of it, hee hee), etc.), all the dimensions listed below would be great:

Diam = 15/16" - known. Cool.
Length of bar at centerline - in other words, how long is the bar from one inner hole to the other inner hole, moving around the U shape? This should be measured at the centerline, not along one of the edges. I tend to use non-stretchy string for something like this measurement.
Distance from the center of one short arm to the other - straight across the bar, not along the length.

With these numbers, I can fine-tune my math abilities even more.

Another thing to note: This bar design will be slightly more effecient than the "one position" types, due to the lack of bushings between the endlinks and the bar. Don't underestimate this - it will be a noticeable effect, kinda like the grippy bushings. While it doesn't give you truly more bar stiffness, it means you get to use the stiffness you have more efficiently. Thus, this bar on stiff might act more like a 25mm Eibach than you think, with the added benefit of imparting lower loads into the LCA.

The only downsides I see are:
1) Possible shearing of the "swiss cheese" portion of the bar after a while. I only say this because I had such a bar fail this year on a Miata that was being used for track use. It cracked right at the adjustment hole, which makes total sense if you have studied Strength of Materials.
2) Not sure how happy the LCA will be at the more severe angles of the end link. Hopefully you'll post pics of the bar installed and set on each setting. That would be stupendous!

How much do you want for one of these?

·
Registered
387 Posts

BTW, in my excitement, I failed to say this:

Nice work! This bar looks very nice and seems like a workable solution to the adjustment issue on Foci. Great stuff.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

How much do you want for one of these?
(Doing best Dr. Evil impersonation) One Millllion Dollllars

I'll work on getting those dimensions for you--still at work until 9pm.

D between the holes.
D c/l of the "arm" from the 90 degree bend to the hole.
D c/l around the "U" hole to hole.
D across the top of the "U" c/l to c/l.

Is that correct?

Seriously, on the price, prolly around $185. Maybe get it down to $175 if the response is good.

·
Registered
387 Posts

(Doing best Dr. Evil impersonation) One Millllion Dollllars
I love it!

D between the holes.
D c/l of the "arm" from the 90 degree bend to the hole.
D c/l around the "U" hole to hole.
D across the top of the "U" c/l to c/l.

Is that correct?
Sure is! Thanks!

Seriously, on the price, prolly around $185. Maybe get it down to $175 if the response is good.
Hey P-51, wanna go halfers in the interest of knowledge?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

that sounds and looks yummy!!!!!!!!!

$175/85 would include the endlinks right?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Are you planning on actively marketting it, or is it just going to be "call this shop and they'll make you one for $175"?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts