Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that adjusting rebound on shocks and struts mostly affects corner entry and exit. I think I have mastered the controls of the rear shocks. Mostly I would set the front at full stiff assuming this was that best and play with the rears from there.

So would decressing stiffness in front increase oversteer?

Also, how does the rebound stiffness affect the grip of the tire? Does it help the fronts stick better? Is full stiff in the front not a good idea?

It's a jungle trying to search for this information on the web.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Stay away from true 'full' anything whether it be stiff or soft with the Konis...always back up or down a tiny bit from the stops. Try them at the 1/2 setting and see how they feel compared to what you are presently used to. If you like...back off another 1/4, if not, add a 1/4...tune to what feels good with you driving your car...what works best for someone else may not be the ideal setup for you as there are too may variables to consider...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've always had the misconception that if the front struts were not at full stiff you would be sacrificing grip. I think not now.

·
Registered
885 Posts
A general "truth" is that you stiffen on end to make the other end hold better.

So, you stiffen the rear to make the front hold better relative to the rear.

Trouble is, for shocks/dampners, the effect is for a short time during compression or rebound. After that happens, you are back to the same "stiffness".

a really stiff rear shock set up to get the rear loose, will result in sudden rear oversteer that is hard to control. Can you say snap oversteer?

it is all a trade off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts