Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking for some opinions on what my next powertrain mod should be. Just got my Cossie flex-pipe put on, which leads me logically to a few ideas...

1) Race header and high-flow secondary cat. This would complete my "standard" breathing mods. The downside is that I think it may be a little louder than I want, so I'd probably have to get a resonator welded into my Borla, too.

2) Cosworth intake manifold. Makes cool noises, makes awesome power up top. The downside is that I'll lose a touch of low-end torque, and won't really see a true gain until some valvetrain mods make it safe to rev over 7k.

3) Stage 2 cams, with reflash, springs, etc. Again, it makes cool noises, both low (idle lope) and high (revving into the stratosphere). Also makes some nice power, especially with the limiter raised.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid I may be a ricer, since most of my ideas are based on how cool they'll make my engine sound.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Go with either option 1 or 3 for now.

Skip the manifold for a little bit.

# 3 is probably your best bet for now.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Yep, I agree. 1 or 3. Personaly, I'd say 3, but I'm not sure how much lacking a headder would hold you back if you got 3. 1 would be much cheaper- so maybe that would be a baby step towards the full potential of 3.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
A combination of 1 and 3. Stage 1 Cams, Race Header, and Resonator, and hold on! The cams and header will compliment your current mods, without going too far, but at the same time, they will wake things up big time!

Edit: The reflash will help too, but you could put it off to get the header and cams in first.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcy, would it be safe to get the cams without the springs? I can't afford the cams/springs/tune and a header, unless I save up for quite some time.

Also, is the secondary cat not such a big bottleneck? I figured replacing it would be helpful.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Stage 1s don't need springs or the tune, thus the suggestion. Stage 2s are overkill for a daily driver that you aren't planning on making 200+whp with eventually.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough. I believe I was thinking back on a comment you made right after the new Cranes came out, about how Stage IIs would be good for daily driving. This was before the Stage Is were tested, IIRC.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
I am going to agree with Sensei...

Stage 1's, header (and add'l resonator) would make your car fly. All kinds of t3h delicious midrange, and the header should improve torque just about everywhere.

I sure wish my manicat were easier to R&R...

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily, I'll only have to do the first R.

I wish I were slightly less environmentally conscious, and I could have a resonator put in for the second cat. But since I want to keep at least one, I'll have to have teh B0rl4 cut up.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stage 2s are overkill for a daily driver that you aren't planning on making 200+whp with eventually.
Bump for a simple question based off this. The Stage Is would be the best choice for an ultimate goal of intake, header, 2.5" exhaust w/ high-flow cat, Cosworth intake manifold, and a rev limiter of 7200 or so, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts