Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend Ill be taking on the task of installing Cams and Cam Gears. I looked up on FocusHacks.com to get some info and they said something about installing "new" oil seals. Have you guys done this?? Is it something I have to get or what???

I might just be pariniod but I want everything to go as smooth as possible. Any advice to help me do that would be great!!!

Thanks
MBZX3

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
It's alway's best to replace the seal's but it also will depend on how many miles you have on your car. I just did a set of cam's for a friend and we reused his seal's and he hasn't had any leakage problems at all. Of course, we checked out his seals real good before installing the cams and they looked great and were really pliable so we took a shot and got lucky.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put my cams in when I had 8000 miles on the car. The oil seals looked good so I just lubed them up with some oil and put them back on. Not one problem since.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would I be able to get the oil seals from a local ford dealer???? I might as well change them just to be safe...Might as well do it right........

Thanks for the info guys....I can always count on my fellow Floridians

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just replaced my cams with 15,000 miles. I re-used the oil seals because they looked really good and I forgot to order them before the change. No leaks after 1,000 miles.

More important than the oil seals is checking the valve lash against the cam card that comes with the cams. This check is sensitive to temperature. The lash should be checked at 68F +- 9 degrees.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yes you can get the oil seals from the dealer, they are really cheap...

when I was N/A and was going to have crower stage 2's installed, the ford tech that was going to do it for me didn't want to risk installing them without having new seals on hand, just incase...

like everyone said, you can reuse them but if you cant go a day without the car, as extra insurance get the seals before just incase

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Things you need:
1) Jack stands
2) Silicone Sealant
3) Torque Wrench
4) Proper Star nut bits.
5) Xtra motor oil
6) New seals and gasket... if you're not careful. I reused mine with no issues.

Step 1) Remove valve cover and cam cover

Step 2) Release Tension on belt and remove belt

Step 3) Remove Old Cam Gears

Step 4) Remove Cams. Take off the bearing caps in stages. you don't want them flying out into space.

Step 5) Lube up new cams and place them in. Just make sure they are not at full lift (doesn't matter how they are in until you align them later)

Step 6) secure the cams in stages. (Follow the diagram and torque specs in the focushacks document) DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN nd make sure you use the silicone sealant.

Step 7) Bolt on Cam Gears. If your gears use dowel pins, use them and torque them down, if not, just tighten the gears until they just spin. You'll understand later

Step 8) the new cams should have a large hex after lobe #1. Use that to rotate the cams. (Our engine is non-interference so you can do that) I believe I used a 1 1/6 open wrench. The cams are assymetrical so you can only slide the cam alignment tool in one way. If it seems that the head is too tall and preventing the slots from going in, then your cams are off. Rotate them until you can get the alignment tool in.

Step 9) Make sure cams are aligned and check your torque settings. Re-attach belt (See the belt tensioner? Right behind the pulley is a little metal tab with a notch in it. If you rotate it clockwise with a screwdriver, you release a LOT of belt tension and it's easy to put the belt back on.) Torque down cam gears (if you haven't already). Tighten the tensioner and remove the cam alignment tool.

Step 10) Re-assemble and break it in.

[ 11-14-2002, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
Torque down cam gears (if you haven't already). Tighten the tensioner and remove the cam alignment tool.

Step 10) Re-assemble and break it in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't tighten the cam gears until the belt is properly tensioned. This is where most people lose their alignment.

Most important step is the one everyone leaves out. Check the valve lash and set it to the cam card specs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts