Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone has one, talked to aem yesterday and it sounds like they work and would make sucking water impossible if submerged in water. so i was looking for some feedback on them, do they affect performance. about a month ago my girlfriend drove into a deep puddle during heavy rain and the cai submerged and hydrolocked the engine, blew 2 big holes in the block so we had to put in a new engine in. i thought about getting a short intake but i like the gains from the cai but on the other hand i dont need to put another engine in the car either. maybe i should go volant? so if anyone has the bypass valve on their cai let me know what you think. thanks

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
the difference in gains between the Volant and the AEM are negligable. some people say the bypass valve works, some say it's worthless. i went the Volant route after much deliberation, and i'm very happy with it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had my AEM CAI isntalled for 2yrs this december and have never had a bypass valve on it, i've driven through standing water up to my door and had no problems, just don't get on it when you're over water, there's alot of suction coming from our little 2.0's. But if you're worried about losing gains, i wouldn't at all, i've had 2 friends with AEM CAI, and both had the bypass on them, said it made no difference in thier 1/4 times or in their basic driving feel. They were on a 01'SI, and a 92' 240SX, so in all, get it if it makes you feel safer driving through water, especially after locking 1 up already, but i don't think you relaly need it if you're careful.
Laterz, Justin

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
the difference in gains between the Volant and the AEM are negligable. some people say the bypass valve works, some say it's worthless. i went the Volant route after much deliberation, and i'm very happy with it
Says who? Where's the volant dyno?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Had my AEM CAI isntalled for 2yrs this december and have never had a bypass valve on it, i've driven through standing water up to my door and had no problems, just don't get on it when you're over water, there's alot of suction coming from our little 2.0's. But if you're worried about losing gains, i wouldn't at all, i've had 2 friends with AEM CAI, and both had the bypass on them, said it made no difference in thier 1/4 times or in their basic driving feel. They were on a 01'SI, and a 92' 240SX, so in all, get it if it makes you feel safer driving through water, especially after locking 1 up already, but i don't think you relaly need it if you're careful.
Laterz, Justin
Great answer. The bypass just acts as a straight pipe until the filter is submerged. If you plan on driving through really deep water (floods etc?) I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
this might sound dumb but if you notice that you are getting a little inhalation of water when it is raining.change your filter or for the cheaper guys recharge yours it helps a great deal with the problem of sucking water an old filter is worn out making it suck more air but inturn you suck water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it was SCC that did a test on the by-pass valve where they put it on a CAI in a NSX, then put the car on a dyno and proceeded to submerge the filter in a full fish tank and then do a run on the dyno. the result was not a drop of water being sucked in. so i would say it works...wouldnt you?

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys, i just ordered one, even if i never need it, ill feel much better having it there anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts