Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get an AEM cold air intake. I was planning on getting the bypass valve too, but I have been told that if you have the bypass valve in that you loose power. Is this true?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Shiva
and for answering my question.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
unless you drive through puddles that submerge your wheels, you should not worry.

yes you will end up losing power.

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011241
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thats right..if u know ur gona hit something a tad deep just put it in neutral or push the clutch in and let the rpm drop so its not suckin in water..thats what i do..but i still get some water its not to worrie just run ur motor and it'll burn off just dont let ur car sit with the water in it..it'll rust the rings!

[ 01-23-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: 02SteedaFocus ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would have to disagree. i have the aem cai and i did install the bypass valve so i dont have the headache. it was fairly easy if you dont mind cutting the pipe. it looks very clean and is worth 40 bucks. for 40 bucks you have nothing to lose. i absolutely did not lose any power from installing the bypass valve. the only thing i noticed was it was not as loud when you hit the gas. or it may just be me getting use to hearing day after day. it still sounds great and i can definetely hear it sucking air. i would recommend installing it just to be safe. water lock is not a fun thing to deal with. especially when you can aovid it for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah, but how often do you travle through 1.5' deep puddles? And since the engine will turn off if the valve is activated- Now you're stuck in a 1.5' puddle and no way out(this is better than a blown engine but stil...). If weather conditions are that much rain you shouldn't be drivening anyway.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by boostenzx3:
i have read the the only way the by-pass valve will do anything is if the filter is completely submerged. is that right???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">correct. the oil in the filter (assuming you clean and oil the filter at regular service intervals) should repel most water well enough.

However going all seaworld with your car is not advised.

If something COMPLETELY stops air from entering the main filter, then the air bypass will open.

However I've been thinking more about this. Assuming you have CORRECTLY INSTALLED (not fitting it between the upper and lower tubes) this air bypass, but left the radiator cover off (that black plastic panel right above the upper grill) then water will get into your engine bay (when it rains/spray carwash). The air bypass is not oil impregnated.... so it won't repel water...

Maybe I'm thinking too into this.

However I do wish the AEM's pipes were bigger.

[ 01-24-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
correct me if I am wrong, but the main reason why i did nt go with the AEM long tube is because of this reason (blown motor) to me nothing is worth it. That is why I went with the Volant. I even went as far as using a silicone hose coupling from baker racing and got some plastic tubing and increased the cold air intake duct (the secondary one) to the rear or the head lights. I also use the SVT snorkle intake w/this kit. This thing pulls hard and it pulls cool air. I also do not have to worry about water and at all of the dynos i have seen the AEM long tube makes no more HP then any of the others, or marginally more 1/4 if that.

I can send somebody pictures of my set up if they need them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
go ahead get the aem cai, i have had it for a long time and if you put the valve in it will try to draw air from the valve so watch out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
like i said before, i have the valve on my car and it is easy to install. the chances of water lock is very slim. it is just the fact and it eases your mind when your driving. once again, i have had it isntalled for about 6 months and it runs just as good as it did w/o the valve.

·
Registered
63 Posts
so is it risky to drive w/ a CAI without the bypass valve? I was planning on getting the AEM CAI soon but not if its worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
DON'T GET IT! I've noticed a couple (including mine) have rotted and broke or fell apart. There is a company who sells metal ones, maybe even steel that of course will not break.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
rtec-usa.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would recommend going with the aem cai and it is not a serious risk to do so. you basically need to fully submerge the filter. the performance is worth it. has of right now it is the only mod i have to my engine and it runs great. this weekend jba header and 2.5" yodude exhaust with magnalfow muffler goes on. anyway, i would not worry about the risk, i have seen a couple of those metal bypass valve but the one off modernperformace.com should not rot or cause any issues. the bypass valve will not get wet anyway, im not sure how it would rot but i guess anything is possible. just buy the intake, it will be worth it, if u r worried put the valve on, no big deal! good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes i went with rtec and can tell you they even have a filter with the Bypass filter on the filter!!man does that thing scream!!I dont knwo how well it works but it is 48 dollars for there stainless steel Bypass valve!better then 40 for a plastic bypass valve that rots!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts