Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

anyone know the piping diameter for the AEM CAI? I would measure it myself, but woudl have till tonight...anyone have the numbers available?

Thanx for your help...Ollie

Is it 2.25" or 2.5"? Gotta find out since I need to place an order with summit and just have them through it in with the rest of the stuff...

[ 02-24-2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Ollie18 ]

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
speaking of pipe diameter has anyone heard of a MAF screwing up because it is in the wrong size pipe????
Could this cause the engine to run lean or cause detonation???
Maybe I didn't totally understand the issue when it was explained to me. I have an AEM knock-off and it was pointed out that if the pipe is not the same diameter it would screw up the MAF

·
Registered
355 Posts
shouldn't the computer readjust to the air flow, coming in the car and readjust the settings, just wondering whats the pipe diameter on the knock off aem, cause i need to get a bypass valve.

[ 02-24-2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: 03zx3 ]

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by 03zx3:
shouldn't the computer readjust to the air flow, coming in the car and readjust the settings, jsut wondering whats the pipe diameter on the knock of aem, cause i need to get a bypass valve.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">2.5 there just happens to be one on ebay

·
Registered
29 Posts
shouldn't the computer readjust to the air flow, coming in the car and readjust the settings, just wondering whats the pipe diameter on the knock off aem, cause i need to get a bypass valve.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The model # for the bypass is 20-401s, fyi.

As far as readjusting things, if it is expecting the volume of air to be going through a 2.5" diameter pipe and you change that diameter then you change the total volume of air. So, the air may be going by at the same rate, the total amount of air is more or less if you make the diameter larger or smaller. I'm probably not explaining it correctly...

[ 02-24-2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: ccfoo ]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No the computer wont adjust that way, it takes a sampling of passing air and does a calculation of variable velocity and pressure based on the known area of the pipe in that location. Going bigger or smaller is really dumb, and will cause the engine to run improperly. Not to mention that the stock size is plenty big until you're pushin some crazy numbers....and its 60mm or close to 2.4 inches. Same size piping as the Apexi world sport (and probably the HKS) as well.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
I'm not worried about it now 'cause it's coming off. I was coming home in the rain today and at about 4200rpms my engine died for a fraction of a second. I got home and checked the filter only to find that it was dripping wet. I guess I ingested some H2O into the MAF. That can't be good for the engine.
No more CAI for me...
Anyone want it? PM me

[ 02-24-2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: robbyracer ]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by robbyracer:
I'm not worried about it now 'cause it's coming off. I was coming home in the rain today and at about 4200rpms my engine died for a fraction of a second. I got home and checked the filter only to find that it was dripping wet. I guess I ingested some H2O into the MAF. That can't be good for the engine.
No more CAI for me...
Anyone want it? PM me
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First off its against the laws of fluid mechanics for the vacuum created by an engine to suck water into a CAI. Which one do you have? I've absolutely soaked my AEM splashed in HUGE puddles all on the basis that I trust physics. About the only way for water to really mess things up is for the filter to stay submerged for a long period of time when then engine is being revved really high.

[ 02-25-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Andy Smith ]

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
First off its against the laws of fluid mechanics for the vacuum created by an engine to suck air into a CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

All I know is that my engine died (briefly) twice on the way home today. I have never had that problem before. Just yesterday I was out carving up some twisty mountain roads, I know I was above 4200rpms and the engine ran great the whole time. But there was no rain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
get a bypass valve to prevent water injestion, and also a K&N and not a cheap filter would do the trick, otherwise make sure all clamps are tight.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Originally posted by robbyracer:

All I know is that my engine died (briefly) twice on the way home today. I have never had that problem before. Just yesterday I was out carving up some twisty mountain roads, I know I was above 4200rpms and the engine ran great the whole time. But there was no rain.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just get the bypass and don't worry about it, as long as u kept driving the car and have changed the oil since then its all good, but its running anyway. wet valve happens to many many cars in flooding, cai or not, has happened to me in my old ranger twice in the rain, just keep running the motor to dry up the water....if its that bad, take out the plugs, unplug the ig/fuel relay/fuse and crank the motor to get some water out and drain the oil, then run the car for a long period of time...being that temp's r so high in the combustion chamber, it takes quite a bit of water to cause serious problems

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Smith:
First off its against the laws of fluid mechanics for the vacuum created by an engine to suck air into a CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">is that so...

-j

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by Skinee J:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Andy Smith:
First off its against the laws of fluid mechanics for the vacuum created by an engine to suck water into a CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">is that so...

-j
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, it was a topic i mentioned once in class because i was curious. Try putting something really light like a leaf up against the filter and see if it'll stay there when you rev to 6500, it wont happen. There's not enough vacuum. Water is really heavy 8.33 lbs per gallon, you begin to kind of see why it's not possible.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
get a bypass valve to prevent water injestion, and also a K&N and not a cheap filter would do the trick, otherwise make sure all clamps are tight.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, if you have some crap ass brand of CAI i guess it could be the filter's fault too. If a filter became wet enough air might not pass through as easily (kinda like snow packing into the intake of rally cars in sweden). A K&N filter is pretty good at beading water and not absorbing it into the cotton.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[qb]First off its against the laws of fluid mechanics for the vacuum created by an engine to suck water into a CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry man...but me too...I found several water spots in the rubber connector that connects to the TB and in the TB itself when I double checked due to engine studdering.

I didn't think it was possible either, but it definetly is. And I have the AEM CAI, and a KN filter.

Maybe u are one of the lucky ones, but fact is it happens. Ollie

[ 02-25-2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Ollie18 ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 03zx3:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, if you have some crap ass brand of CAI i guess it could be the filter's fault too. If a filter became wet enough air might not pass through as easily (kinda like snow packing into the intake of rally cars in sweden). A K&N filter is pretty good at beading water and not absorbing it into the cotton.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The K&N does not do enough to repel water. I had a newly cleaned and oiled filter on my AEM and it was still stalling when I drove in enough rain. The filter will get clogged with water enough to cause a vacuum.

Also it will clog in snow. Stalled me out on I-94.

In any case, the AEM does well, but the filter needs a splash guard.

My car is like a giant wet/dry vac.

[ 02-25-2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
In any case, the AEM does well, but the filter needs a splash guard.

My car is like a giant wet/dry vac.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I made a rather ugly splash guard for mine out of a plastic toilet plunger. Looks like sh*t...hehe. I went to Lowes and got one of those plastic plungers that has an accordian shape to it. It fits a little snug but was just the right size. I split it down the middle and cut 1/3 off of the top. Then I drilled holes into the bottom to allow drainage. Anyway, I got a lot of mud on my filter before this. Not sure if it effecting performance though.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, it was a topic i mentioned once in class because i was curious. Try putting something really light like a leaf up against the filter and see if it'll stay there when you rev to 6500, it wont happen. There's not enough vacuum. Water is really heavy 8.33 lbs per gallon, you begin to kind of see why it's not possible.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not so much the water itself that gets sucked in. It's the water vapors that get sucked in that screws it up. And, think about it, when the AEM filter goes partly into water, the rpms and vacuum drops in the motor. The computer see's it, and raises the rpms, causing more vacuum, thus sucking in the water. Why the **** would AEM come out with a bypass valve if they knew their CAI didn't need it? Fluid Dynamics anyone?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
best thread ever

raises his beer in a toast to the Volant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts