Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question is, which makes the most power? and which has the best power? i.e. better low end and best overall gain. ill be gettin one here in the next few months and im torn in between which to get..iv wanted aem but everyone talks how good volant is...just need some more info

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
volent is a better system if you mate it with a hood scoop. it has less bends to get to the TB and it dosent suck water like the AEM.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
water was def. one of the things in the back of my head...specially living in northeast ohio,,,,we had a super wet summer,,,we got to as much as like 3 inches of rain A DAY!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Volant or Focus Central CAI esp. if you have ATX.

=dRe=

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hate atx's,,,no fun to drive IMO..i got the 5 speed

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
To answer your question AEM makes the most power of any intake available for the focus. Hands down. A lot of volant owners will claim there's has more 'low end', but in all likelihood they are the same but the volant doesn't have the high end to compare it to. I owned the AEM for nearly a year, and absolutely loved it. I drove in a lot of rain and through a lot of puddles, at many different throttle postitions and never had any issue with that. Based on the fluid dynmaics class i've taken, I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to suck water in the engine. I say pretty much because if you fully submersed the filter, then ran the engine flat out, you'd probably be able to actually ingest some. Personally I've never had the bumper of my car submerged, so i was never really worried. I once did a demonstration for a few of my friends by hosing my filter full of water, then starting my car and revving it. Didn't hurt anything at all. The AEM rocks, the only thing I did was built a debris sheild for it for the winter time so it didnt get packed full of snow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had my AEM CAI installed for 1.5 yrs now, and it has made the biggest difference.
In regards to water, drainage here in lubbock is the worst, i understand where you're coming from, if we get .5" the whole town floods, gotta love TX. But even when the roads flood, i have driven through water that has been just over my bumper and not a thing happened, and i've driven through water up to my door but i just got speed up and coasted through it, just to be safe. If you're going through water any higher then that you should have your head checked
. My roommate has an '01 eclipse gs w/AEM CAI and he has had zero problems also.
So in regards to the water issue... there is no issue
. But in regards to the power gains, it is definitely noticeable through the whole power curve, and i havne't heard a focus intake yet that sounds as good

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think im sold....i heard u couldnt upgrade an aem to a bigger maf sensor though...any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
i think im sold....i heard u couldnt upgrade an aem to a bigger maf sensor though...any thoughts?
I'm not sure how much you intend to mod this focus, but the stock MAFS is big enough for quite a while. Most people only get up to like 150whp with the zetec anyway, so at that level you're still fine with the stock T/B and MAFS.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a CAI off ebay for $50. It looks like it was a AEM second. There was a slight blemish on the lower tube and it had the cheap-o red cone filter. I spent about $10 upgrading the rubber mounts because alot of guys on the boards say that the mounts are trash. When I pop the hood, nobody can tell Ive got $60 into the intake. They are pretty amazed even. Im on the coast, so for winter Im getting the $35 ebay short ram, just to be safe. For around $130 total, that includes shipping Ive got a great summer and winter intake. I dont give a rats a$$ about brand names, fit, function, and style - my ebay purchases fit all three.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The part that breaks on the Ebay specials are the mounting arms themselves...not the rubber feet. The filters are crap too, and they come uncoated (or poorly coated). Plus the AEM is expensive because they've gone to get it CARB exempt, which in most states you need if you want to pass inspection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea ive got an AEM and I love it. Sounds good,looks good,and feels great. Ive also taken through quite a few puddles (live in Florida) and it doesnt do anything. The only thing ive notice that if the filter is moist and i try to floor it,it likes to jerk alot till it (the filter) dries. But i wudnt give up for anything

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wont the aem cai bolt to a big bore tb?? say a fs 65mm

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
wont the aem cai bolt to a big bore tb?? say a fs 65mm
Probably...it depends on the OD of the TB, I think they are all the same, if not all you'd need would be a different 90 degree boot.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got ya,,,,thanx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts