Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a request. If you have a set of these, could you measure the length of the part of the crank timing pin that screws in to the block and post it.

When I purchased adjustable cam gears, I also purchased the AEM cam gear tool set to make sure that everything was done correctly. When we started tuning the stock cams, the more we retarded both cams the better it got until we ran out of adjustment on the gears. The gears were checked for zero several times by different people using my tools each time and the results were the same. I had John at McNew's Automotive install a set of FR stage 2 cams, which he did using his own method of finding TDC and the car ran great. However, one of the cam gears was bad and we replaced it using my tools to zero the cams. The car lost about 30 HP according to the Dyno. I took it back and John reset the cams using his method(screwdriver and timing marks) of finding TDC and now it runs great again.

I am not sure if my timing pin is not the correct length or if there are some variations in the machining of the block or crank from the factory. I would like to find out the reason for my problem so that others on FJ could benefit from my exerience. I info you can give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I have is also 95mm in total length, but I should have made my request a little clearer. The important part is the length from the tip that hits the crank to the shoulder that hits the block when screwed in all the way. On mine this is 75mm.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I have used this tool and on the same engine, at the same time, used my method (dial gauge on no.1 cyl.) and found the tool to be waaaaaay off. I never used that sucker again. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any Ford mechanics out there with access to the official Ford tool?

For 6 months I've had the parts to make a piston stop(old sparkplug and piece of all-thread) laying on my workbench. Guess I better get busy and finish that project.

Airforcefocus, how do you make allowances for the few degrees at TDC where the piston is not moving up or down?

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Those couple of degrees of dwell were not too important to me as adjustable cam gears were installed and would be tuned anyways. It would be nice to get them "spot-on", but these are just street cars looking for a few extra HP. Either way, it's a lot more accurate than the crank tool.

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
I also found the AEM tool to be crap. I don't know what it is, but everytime i use the TDC tool, i lose power. I use a screwdriver on #1.

Clint

·
Registered
968 Posts
I also found the AEM tool to be crap. I don't know what it is, but everytime i use the TDC tool, i lose power. I use a screwdriver on #1.

Clint
I do agree with you on the screwdriver, but...do you know if its on the compression or exhaust stroke?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
dammit..I just bought this thing.

If only you guys brought this up two days earlier!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I hope your kidding
LOL...
No offense, but you would be sooooo surprised at the cars I get in my lil garage from "shade tree" types who like to do their mods themselves, which I think is great. BUT, when a kid pulls the distributor on his 5.0 stang, tries to retime it, then ends up bringing it to me with the timing soo far off it has screwed up the motor (yes he drove it like that, base timing set at 21 degrees btdc, when 10-14 btdc is accepted norm) I cringe to think if it with these motors....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that what Winkty was refering to was the fact that the cam alignment tool won't go into the cams if you are not on the right stroke since the slot is offset from center. You could mess it up if you removed the timing belt or loosened the cam gears before you had it set. But, since the 2 liter Zetec engine is non-interference(even with mild aftermarket cams), you wouldn't break anything; it just wouldn't run.

The new 2.3 PZEV engine is a different story! It is an interference engine and you can screw up the timing and break stuff just trying to put on a UDP if you are not careful(as someone here on FJ found out).

·
Registered
968 Posts
The new 2.3 PZEV engine is a different story! It is an interference engine and you can screw up the timing and break stuff just trying to put on a UDP if you are not careful(as someone here on FJ found out).
Gotta hate interference motors. Yes, they make the power, but geeesh..the hassles that come with it are sometimes not worth it.
On the cam tool, I didnt know. I am just getting started playing with the Zetec. I have yet to do the cam gear install (though it is steadily progressing that direction) and was actually lurking here at first to get some info. Seeing as there seems to be a lil difference in opinions as to the AEM tool and its use, does anyone else make a tool for alignment of the motor and cams?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
just take the plug out of cyl-1... stick a screw driver butt against the hole and turn the crank and wait for the puff of air against the screwdriver... once the air stops puffing out... you've hit TDC

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hypnotic: The AEM cam alignment tool works just fine, it's the timing pin that is causing the problem. Probably not their fault, rather sloppy machining tolerances on the block. The Ford service CD shows using the timing pin screwed into the side of the block to find crank TDC but thats where I had the problem.

The cams on the Zetec have an off-center slot in the end opposite the gears. This is where you use the aligment tool for the cams. With the cam cover off, use a screwdriver to find TDC on #1. If you have it on the compression stroke the cam tool will slide into the slots on both cams and rest on the rim of the head casting(it may be a little off since the Zetec is infamous for having them slightly off from the factory). If you are on the exhaust stroke you won't even begin to get the tool in the slots.

Hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, that helps me a lot,thanks. Now, next question, anyone in the Atlanta GA area with one of these tools willing to let me borrow it for a weekend?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts