Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the AEM cold air intake... Works and sounds great to me. I replaced the air filter with a monster flow air filter though! which in my opinion sounded better than the aem filter.
but the only thing is you won't be able to upgrade your MAF sensor to 70mm otherwise go with the FC intake if you're planning to do that in the future.

[ 03-28-2003, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: TWnRB ]

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've had both AEM Short Ram and CAI, I hated my Short Ram. The car would nearly stall sucking in the hot air. I've heard that the Volant is better than the CAI. I'm using my CAI right now and I say save the money and go for that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a AEM CAI but since we have snow and ice here i convert it to a Short tube for winter, then back to CAI in summer,

Milan

·
Registered
134 Posts
vme, thats a really good idea. i live in toledo and deal with the same weather you do. i bought a shortie for that reason and the other day when i ported my tb i looked down my intake tube and saw two water droplet trails that didn't quite make it to the elbow. it made me nervous so while i was waiting for the adhesive to set i built a temporary splash shield for my intake. has anyone else ever had water probs with a short ram?

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I have been running an AEM for almost 2 years and have had no problems at all with it. Runs great. I have a K&N filter on it and that has given me no problems. I like the Volant setup but do not want to throw away the AEM investment for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The shield for the shorty is a heat shield,it points to the inside of car where hotter air from header is blocked off, the bottom pic shows the intake in CAI mode, for which i also have a SPLASH shield, in case it rains heavy.

Milan

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a AEM CAI but since we have snow and ice here i convert it to a Short tube for winter, then back to CAI in summer,

Milan
[/QUOTE]

Did you just cut your original cold air tube and put a k&n on it. I was going to do something like this but leave the rest of the clod air tube on behind th e bumper (without the filter) and route the tube to wehere it's under the short ram filter. But since the water is pushed through the tube and not sucked there should be less chance of water going all the way up the tube and reaching the filter. This way you can run your short ram and still have cold air running through the tube behihd the bumper.

[ 03-29-2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: jay--zx3 ]

·
Registered
134 Posts
or you could do that with 3 in. dryer vent from home depot and remove the cold air section for the winter so that it doesn't get loaded up with salt and dirt and other road crud. that way when you put it back to cold air after the winter you don't suck that stuff into your motor and destroy it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jay, i use the stock K&N that comes with the AEM CAI, and remove the bottom section for winter, only thing you will need to do this is an extra 2.5" rubber sleeve and 2 hose clamps. I reuse the stock snorkel in the shorty mode to get a bit of fresh air in while moving. It's not an issue as it's VERY cold here in the winter/fall.

Milan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I guess anyone with a short ram could kinda turn it into a cold air system by running pvc or dryer vent in the same spot as the cold air tube would be. That's kinda how kool accel makes their cai intake

[ 03-29-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: jay--zx3 ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts