Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AEM Air Intake System, a custom tuned system for maximum performance. CARB certified! Zirconia Based powder coating. Includes High Performance K&N Filter. Choice of three colors with clear coating.

I have a 2002 SE Automatic Zetec thinking of going ahead and getting this or waiting a little longer and gettin the Volant.

Ok, does anyone have this intake? Do you like it? Happy you have this? Anything bad about it?
Any help wanted, and Drew if you read this, don't think I don't trust your word on the Volant, just doing my shopping!

http://newedgeperformance.com/aemperairins.html

[ 01-13-2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: 2o*FoCusZeTec*o2 ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
it will pull in hot air. get a hot air shield or the full length CAI.

Volant is good.

[ 01-13-2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
it will pull in hot air. get a hot air shield or the full length CAI.

Volant is good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Where can I find a full length AEM CAI, all I find for AEM is short ram or underhood kind.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i have had my short ram aem intake on my car for over a year now and it works fine but i would sudgest a heat shield or something cause down here in florida it shut off on my twice in the summer i beleive it was because of the hot air.

·
Registered
316 Posts
why not just go on ebay and see what they are selling. because honsetly you are paying for the name and that it is it i got a bombz intake with a air bypass valve and feel no different than an aem cai. just alot more money to spend but hey who needs money it's all about performance...right

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the shorty intake (at least during the summer months). That was the first intake I bought, and after my car came real close to dying while on a hill trying to get across a busy intersection, I promptly sold it.

Just get a K&N cone filter and stick it on your stock tube, it'll give you pretty much the same gains I'll bet (along with the added noise). Only thing is you only get one color choice with the tubing

As for that heat shield. I'd say it's a wind shield for the MAF more than anything else.

I did a test recently with a cone filter on the end of my iceman upper tube, and driving at speed (ie 55), and dropping it into neutral caused the car to sputter and die. It would also stumble when shifting at a normal pace once 40 mph was reached. Along with that, the car got jerky when letting off the throttle.

I rigged a "heat" shield out of a milk jug and it worked perfectly, no sputtering or dying...but again, one color choice, and not pretty, but not close to 200 bucks + the price of a fancy looking "heat" shield either.

[ 01-13-2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Discord ]

·
Registered
647 Posts
i have it and i had put a fs heat shield on it and it was great,nice power and not bogging or dieing cause of heat

·
Registered
175 Posts
ive had it for a month or two now and no probs yet, but i dont doubt come summer i'll have a few issues with it being so freaking hot and humid here if Fl. i did notice i get around 12-20 more miles on a full tank of gas since i've had it. it was worth it to me, i dont plan on turning my car into a full on race car anyway, you can't beat it for the price, it has a lifetime warranty, looks good, sounds good, and doesn't hurt anything! oh and Newedge is great! i ordered my whole suspension from them and my bosal w/some clear corners, fast shipping, great prices, great customer service!

[ 01-14-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: liquidG ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
get a bombz cai, it's cheaper than the aem short ram, the same quality and probably twice the performance gains as a short ram. if you are going to spend "x" amonut of money, why not get the most for you money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts