Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the aem short ram. The idle is rough as it is with many other cars. I understand that you can just remove the hose from the valve cover to the intake, seal the intake hole, and then put a valve cover breather on the valve cover hole. This fixes the idle. Does any one have any picks of how they attached the breather? This would be way helpful!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have pix but I can sggest that you use a piece of automotive grade hose and a couple of small hose clamps and there you go. I hope you can get what I'm trying to say. I assume that the breather has a nipple on the end. (HU HU HU I said nipple
)

That's how I've seen other's done. Let me know If that helps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm contemplating this mod for my Short Ram. I've had idle problems with mine since day one, although intermittently. Anyway, what would you use to plug the nipple on the short ram where the breather hose attaches?

Mike

·
Registered
398 Posts
yeah buy the Focus Sport Cool Flow intake.
its short ram and has a valve cover breather and a big plus a heat shield to keep warm air away from the intake filter as much as possible.
besides that it sounds very cool when you rev the car too

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just completed the crankcase breather filter mod today. I went to my local performance shop and bought 6ft (I only used about 2.5) of 5/8" heating tube, and a K&N breather filter part #62-1370. The filter comes with a hose clamp that clamps over the end of the 5/8" tube perfectly. It was a simple install, and only took about a 1/2 hour to complete. I haven't hard-mounted the filter in the engine bay yet, I just routed the tube up under the fuse box so it just sits snugly between the box and the driver's side strut tower.

I just covered the nipple on the Short Ram with duct tape for the time being. I'll fill it in with some sort of bondo or putty at some point in the near future. I took the car out driving for a while afterwards and the rough, stumbling idle never reared it's ugly head. Yeah!

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Well, you can use two breathers if you want. One on the cranckase and the one on the intake tube. That's what I did when I used my clone AEM CAI. Just because I have 2 breathers already

=dRe=

·
Registered
149 Posts
ahh, hadn't thought of that. I'll probably just patch up the hole, though. Those K&N breathers are $20 a pop out here!

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update: The rolling/stumbling idle problem is back in full force, in spite of the breather mod. Sigh...at least I have a shiny new miniature K&N under the hood now. I have a feeling it's the MAF. I cleaned the wires when I did the mod, and after a couple days, the problem has reoccured. Maybe it's the oil from the filter, but the wires on the MAF don't look greasy, and the filter hasn't been re-oiled since I got it from the box. argh

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts