Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Well I put the foci on a lift and ran it in fifth gear floored at 4500rpm feathering the brakes to get full boost so that I could take a look at where this 'zzzzz' noise is coming from (harder than it sounds). Turns out it is coming from the wastegate. I'm guessing that since this turbo was designed to be used with the cat in place, it's wastegate is working a little hard than normal because my race headers are allowing a higher flow of exhaust.. thoughts..? Am really new to the turbo scene, so any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Also have been seeing some people with different boost figures for these turbo systems. Could someone let me know how to change the boost..? I'm thinking maybe there are spring strength options for the wastegate..? Also what's the safest boost for non-intercooled systems (yes I have the fifth injector installed)?

Thank-you all, Marcos....

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is no wastegate with the aerocharger turbo. It uses VATN (variable area turbine nozzle) to control boost. Not sure quite what the noise could be, I'd call gerhard at aerocharger and see if he has any ideas. And, i'd probably not recommend you go over 5-7 psi without an intercooler.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Are you sure the "zzzz" is problematic and not normal operating noise?

How to change boost? I have answered that at length several times, you can find with a search. If you still have questions, let me know and I will help.

Safest boost non-intercooled with 5th injector? Depends on your fuel quality, weather conditions, and how well your engine flows (ie other mods). Same setup with IC I got deto above 5 PSI or so with 92 octane. Other have succesfully run much higher. Problem is if you run boost too low, you may end up excessively rich.

Foregive me, this is the first time I told anyone to search, but that is what you need to do. Read up on the AC and SFMS for several hours then ask specific questions. That is why you are not getting alot of responses here in this thread. Nobody wants to be a bad guy and say "Do a
Search," but the questions are kind of vague, there are several of them, and nobody wants to type 20 paragraphs to help someone who didn't narrow down their questions with a little research first.

Check it out a little and I will be happy to help in more detail if I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man,

thanks. I did a search and found out some stuff - actually learned how this forum works at the same time. Seems you know about these cars and turbo systems for them.

Thanks again man, Marcos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts