Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to just get a diablo or superchip (or something else) to raise the revs/speed limiters and not have the other changes (air/fuel and what not)?
Both manufactures say that vehicle requires 91+ octane after installation and quite frankly I'd rather stick to 87 (89 at the most) because of costs...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have been researching this myself since I am trying to cobble together a custom supercharger or maybe modify the JSRC package to go higher boost than it was intended for -- in any case I need good engine management so I have been looking.

Pectel P2 is the King, and was designed for the Focus I believe; it is used in rally and race cards mostly. Total cost is $2,500 including the custom wiring harness and extra modules for forced induction (I am guessing on total price here since I have not been able to locate ANY dealers??!!). Probably not the best option if you are only trying to save .20 per gallon. Still, I am considering it because it is supposed to be so good. Any opinions out there on this would be appreciated.

PerfectPower makes two modules -- one a standalone aftermarket ECU, and the other a "piggyback" module the works with the existing Focus ECU to override the parameters. www.perfectpower.com. Both kits cost about $750 and seem to give quite a bit of control. I am not sure, however, whether the piggyback is flexible enough to control timing. I am also not aware of ANYONE running these on a ZETEC though I would love to hear from someone who is... There is a wiring diagram for the Focus, so there must be someone using this successfully.

There is also Tweecer. www.tweecer.com. They have a piggyback module that is amazingly flexible, and includes all timing parameters. Unfortunately, they have not yet developed the necessary programmability -- all you can do at this point is copy your existing diablo or superchips rom to this chip, but you will likely not be able to program it yet. The tweecer folk are working out the programming details and are seeking help in the online forum linked on their site.

Finally, there are custom chip burners like TheChipGuy who will sell you a custom chip for your existing ECU. You could probably specify low octane gas and have them burn the chip the way you want it. Not sure about cost? I also am not sure how you contact them -- my searches have not turned up contact info or a web site for the TheChipGuy though I recall from prior postings that he may be a contributor in this forum?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW

Thanks for the all info
The custom programming sounds promising, hopefully someone here know how to contact them

·
Registered
702 Posts
Check out www.fordchip.com. I just found them and they will do a custom chip (based on dynotuning is a similarly configured vehicle) for $300 for a blown application. They also do flipchips. Seem pretty knowledgable.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again!!

Just checked out their site. The F-1 chip looks to be exactly what I was looking for

Now all I need is the darn money to pay for it

·
Registered
659 Posts
You do realize the reason for the high octane is for the safty of your engine. why would you want to get a chip to raise speed limiter for at least $300 and not let the chip help you to get over the speed limiter ( by changing timing and air/fuel) just my opinion its your money.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I don't want to mess with my air/fuel mixture settings (which most other chips do) and I'm not making changes to the fuel system (MAF, injectors, etc) and I most likely will remain NA, I don't gain anything from running 91/93 octane (other then a much lighter wallet).
Even with just an intake and exhuast, getting to the 109 limit is not an issue (I can bounce off it with ease) and doesn't require air/fuel changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts