Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had brought my SVTF for service for ticking and found out that Ford has issued a TSB against aftermarket oil filters. The summary I got was that aftermarket filters cause bubbles to form in the oil and could cause engine noise and there is a procedure for eliminating the bubbles. Any one else heard of this and have some specifics?

This didn't fix the problem but now I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
never heard of it. I think as long as you get a filter with the breather. idk its just a way to get you get the ford motorcraft filter

·
Premium Member
12,229 Posts
Not that that's a bad thing... the Motorcraft filter is very good quality.

Ask for the TSB number and post it here.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sounds like BS to me.

What's an aftermarket oil filter? Fram? STP? Wix? Hastings? That's like saying Castrol is aftermarket oil.

It's not like APC has introduced a line of JDM Altezza Zenon filters...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have a list of all the svtf tsbs and i will look through it later and see if it exists

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to get a copy of the TSB but I think there is an issue with confidentiality. I will try to get numbers and keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
12,229 Posts
Uhhh... TSBs are public records.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i think that service advisor is from never never land.; just tell him to eat the danm apple

·
Registered
128 Posts
well if you really think about it the there would a tsb on all zetec engines due to that fact they all use the same oil filter. and out of all of the three zetec's in my household no such tsb's

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is a TSB and being a Service Advisor at a Ford Dealer here in Cali I have seen it before. I will go search on fmcdealer and see if I can find it for you.

MadDawg

·
Registered
255 Posts
I havent been able to find the one specifically for the Focus yet but I did find this

SSM# 19462
OASIS MESSAGE :
SOME 1997-2007 E150/F150, 1997-2007 CROWN VIC./GRAND MARQUIS/TOWN CAR, 1997-2004
MUSTANG GT, 1997-1998 T-BIRD/COUGAR AND 2002-2005 EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER WITH 4.6L
2V ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A
STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL
FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD
ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET
OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK
REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT). FORD RECOMMENDS THE USE OF FORD APPROVED
FILTERS ONLY. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT
COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

I will keep searching for the Focus one though

MadDawg

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Wow.

Talk about a vague, catch-all, cover-your ass clause. Whose burden is it to prove that the damage was or was not caused by an aftermarket oil filter? I'm guessing it's the owner.

I'm long out of warranty, by it's disturbing to think that a legally binding agreement like a warranty can be so easily modified.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
davlafont said:
Wow.

Talk about a vague, catch-all, cover-your ass clause. Whose burden is it to prove that the damage was or was not caused by an aftermarket oil filter? I'm guessing it's the owner.

I'm long out of warranty, by it's disturbing to think that a legally binding agreement like a warranty can be so easily modified.
Your original warranty has clauses in it like that, I mean if you go buy one of those old JC Whitney filter housings that you stick a roll of toilet paper in and it clogs your oiling system and kills your engine who should pay for the engine?

I have not seen the TSB but it could be that Ford has found bits of foreign matter (pieces of filter element) in the oiling systems of some cars which would lead them to release a TSB stating their findings.

TSB means "technical service bulletin" It's simply a tool to help techs diagnose problems and spread the word about issues that can occur.

I am quite sure it would have to be very obvious that the filter was at fault before any finger pointing would take place.

Just use good filters like Motorcraft, Fram, A/C Delco etc and you should not have any issues at all.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
davlafont said:
Sounds like BS to me.

What's an aftermarket oil filter? Fram? STP? Wix? Hastings? That's like saying Castrol is aftermarket oil.

It's not like APC has introduced a line of JDM Altezza Zenon filters...
Haaaa Haaaa Haaaaa!!! I like it. Well said.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do regularly use Fram oil filters, and that is what was on there at the time, but I guess I'll be getting the motorcraft one from now on.

I guess $4 extra at each oil change isn't too bad.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Gumby said:
I do regularly use Fram oil filters, and that is what was on there at the time, but I guess I'll be getting the motorcraft one from now on.

I guess $4 extra at each oil change isn't too bad.
$4.00 extra??

FL-400-S $3.36 each from me, FL-2005 $4.39 each from me.

I know a single oil filter may not make much sense to ship but if you need more parts or multiple filters I can save you quite a bit even taking shipping into consideration.

·
Registered
128 Posts
just so everyone know thats all those cars listed use a different filter the zetec's of the new. old contours used a different filter on the zetec back in 1996-1997. we use a fl400s where v-6's and v-8's use a bigger filter. so that tsb does not relate to us. if you have anymore tsb questions fordsvtparts can help so can i since my job uses mitchel on-demand live(inter-net based) which is updated everyday. Also im a member of iatn. i will answer any repair questions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts