Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the seats in my 2000 ZX3 and the seats I got were from a 2002 4-door sedan. The harnesses for the airbags were identical and fit together just fine, but now my airbag light is on. I'm not really concerned with getting it turned off unless there's an easy way of doing it. All i'm concerned with is if my airbag will accidently deploy on me while i'm driving it. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If the airbag light is on, they will not deploy at all, not even in a crash. Chances are, the 2002 wiring is different, they may look the same, but the wiring can very well be different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI...If the system is in a faulted state the RCM (Restraints Controller Module) with any pyro device (air bag, pretensioner) the RCM will still attempt to deploy the device faulted or not. An unplugged/faulted seat device(Seats contain a belt pretensioner on the buckle side and optionally a side air bag)will not cause the front air bags not to deploy during a crash event.

Sounds like the seat either does not contain the same pyro devices (belt pretensioner or side air bag) as the previous seat), bad wiring or not connected, different wiring, or the pyro device has already been used i.e. the new seat was in a car where the belt pretensioner deployed. Once a pyro device deploys it usually opens up electrically

Look at the pretensioner pyro (There should be an open ended 6" tube) if there is a cable end sticking out of the open end (open towards front of vehicle) the pretensioner has been used and needs to be replaced.

Get someone to scan the codes and it will tell you exactly what's up...

Dearborn Blue Oval

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have this problem right now cuz i swaped in some celica seats and couldn't figure out for nothin how to get the light to go out .. im jus wondering ... will the air bag go off or not in the event that its needed

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would locate the pretensioner connector (Should be yellow with 2 wires where the wiring comes up through the carpet under the seat) and place around a 2 - 3 ohm 1/8 watt resistor across the terminal. This basically electrically fools the RCM into thinking there is a good pretensioner.

This is also known as a delete resistor...Add the resistor and then have the codes cleared from the RCM and all should be well. This fix also works for a vehicle that has a side airbag.

Dearborn Blue Oval

1 - 5 of 5 Posts