Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive with my air on, my SVT has significant power loss. It almost stalls when i start in first, boggs down really bad. Also really slow at low rpm, but picks up at higher rpm. It has no problem when the air is not on, and the air works fine. whats up? is this normal? anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It has been warm here in Seattle the last few days and I have been using my A/C and having the same problems. 4 cyl just never do good with the A/C on. Just not enough power to make everything go round and round. So I would have to say it is a normal thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks. I guess that is a good thing, that means there probably isn't a problem, but it still sucks. Oh well, thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's normal on this beast, so no worries. My FS/SCT tune has significantly helped with the A/C on + off-the-line starts, but it's still no perfect solution. A few more cylinders would help

·
Registered
827 Posts
my brakes are affected as well when the A/C is on. The pedal is very mushy and doesnt bite until almost at the floor. Of course with AC off, it's back to normal. Kinda worries me...me no haapy with that

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
thats odd, the booster gets its power from engine vacuum. A/C shouldnt affect it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's funny you mention that Lachlan because the other Steve is having the same problem with his ZTS. My car has never acted that way. I know that with my tune, the A/C is swithced off at FT. And for some reason, the car FEELS like it pulls a bit harder, than when I am not running the A/C.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It's normal on this beast, so no worries. My FS/SCT tune has significantly helped with the A/C on + off-the-line starts, but it's still no perfect solution. A few more cylinders would help
Yeah like 4 more

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, I noticed it myself. I knew that AC eats up a bit of power, but I really noticed it last weekend on the highway. Had to shift to 4th to maintain speed where 6th would have been fine normally!

·
Registered
426 Posts
i thought my FS tune would help that problem...helped it, but not to what i had hoped it. stil got the issue.

ive been debatin on taking it in to ford, yet from what i hear...its normal so oh well.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
About the only helpful solution would be a UDP. You can then kiss A/C effectiveness goodbye in the city.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I notice the AC power loss too, only when pulling out.

Thats with me making over 300whp.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
It sound like it may not be clear why power is reduced when the A/C is on. The compressor (pump that compresses refrigerant) is powered by the serpentine (accessory) belt. When the A/C is off, the pulley on the compressor spins freely. When it is turned on, an electromagnetically activated clutch engages the compressor. This puts additional drag on the serpentine belt, which in turn increases the parasitic loss of power.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
I thought it was common knowledge that the A/C kills your engine power, especially on small engines like these.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I went on a road trip last weekend and had to click the button off just to pass a bunch of cars

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doesn't the US Focus shut off a/c when on full throttle? Most of the European Fords from the last few years (including the Focus) do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
my car does the same, just need to give it a little extra rpm's to getter to go. What I hate is when the AC is off and if I misstime the throttle and clutch the car bogs and I'm doing 1 mph until it pulls out of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts