Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI, the cylinder type air filter from a dodge stratus 2.7 will fit the 3" (or whatever it is) tubing on a marcy, but there's not the clearance to get it to stick on the tube securely, i believe the FS is the same size tube but since it curves up, you should be able to mount it.

just an fyi for those like me that hate K&Ns and want a paper filter that still flows more than the engine needs...

and the sound is the same. I ran one on my marcy the last week and it didn't fall off but i'd be weary running it without the bend like the FS kit.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
You mean clearance like the filter is too long for the opening?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well you can't slip it onto the tube far enough...at least not for me to be comfortable not to use a clamp because there's no lip to clamp on to. on the FS design, you could just slip it over and the tension would work with gravity to hold it on.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
What's wrong with K&N filters that you would perfer the paper element filter... Do the k&n flow much less? require cleaning more often?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a K&N won't be replaced nearly as often but it uses an oil to catch dirt in a gauze filter. the oil slips through and you have to clean your MAF sensor when it gets covered in the crap the K&N lets through.

I've seen the flow numbers on K&N compared to other filters and the real issue (especially for us) is the boxes/piping, not the filter itself. actually just dropping a K&N in will add maybe 1hp on a bigger motor.

I pulled my K&N off the other day after replacing it about 4 months ago...after cleaning it twice before in 30k (50k my ass). yesterday I put my stock airbox back on after seeing all the crap that the brand new K&N let through in 4 months. there shouldn't be a layer of dirt and oil that thick on my intake tube after the filter...i'm sorry, but that kind of [censored] in a motor will fubar your rings and cylinder walls and I'm going to stick with the stock airbox until I rebuild the motor and then I'm glassing a custom box for a real big paper filter (the one for a hemi comes to mind). either that or i may buy an ITG filter but i'm still weary.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it was on a brand new filter...twice. granted when i oiled it id did it too but that doesn't bother me as much as the clean filter with the layer of dirt inside the tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts