Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey doods, I have an air/fuel gauge going in, had a question looks like nobody's asked. Ok, on my gauges that have lights and senders, you can put the power wire to a switched source like the headlights, so the gauge still reads but the light only comes on at night when you turn on your headlights. On my air fuel, I think the power wire also makes the gauge work, so I think I'll need to find another source of power that's always on when the car's on. Correct? Sorry for any dumb questions, I'm tackling 6 gauges today and don't want to get stumped while under the dash. Thanks

g

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got em all in and answered my own question, good thing, no replies. Just for archive benefits, the lights have a ground and hot, they need to be wired to the light switch, the orange wire with the black stripe is the right one. The Power for the gauges needs to come from keyed on power. If you take out the glovebox, you will see a small plug that pigtails off to a bigger one at the firewall, not sure what it is, but it's something blower/heat related. I used either of the large wires in it for gauge power. I have them all three in and hot, just need to wire to the senders and I'm done. My new problem is...My a/f gauge is all over the place, when I let off the gas and put backpressure on, it's pegged out lean, then when I wot over 5k it's pegged rich, but all the time other than that it's back and forth, no way to get a reading. Any ideas? I plugged into pin 60 on the computer, pretty sure that's all ok. I'm thinking my o2 sensors may need cleaned, if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll run a wire out to the o2 itself and see if that fixes it. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Well it sounds to me like you got it all wired up. As far as the guage being all over the place goes that's normal. Stoich is in the center and is the ideal mixture but you'll never see it rest there. Your computer is continously taking A/F readings from the 02's and is adjusting the mixture rapidly as well. Your concern is primarily where it's at during WOT, if your lucky it'll be on the rich side. If it's lean you'll detonate and nasty things could happen.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dood, yeah it's all over, like a disco light in the car in the dark. At wot it's jumpy til about 5k then it pegs out rich. I'd be interested to see how other ppls gauges read during regular driving.
On a humorous note, the wire I tapped for gauge always on power turns out to be blower motor, the gauges stay lit due to switched on power, but when I turn the fan on 3 or 4 clicks, they quit working. haha, guess I'll be looking for another tap point. Actually it's kinda nice to get rid of the a/f disco light at nite, maybe I'll leave it. More input, thanks again

g

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
At WOT - Your LED's shouldn't read anything other than full rich, which would be all the way up to or beyond the last 2 LED's lit up.

I don't know why yours would be 'jumpy' at all - Unless it is a just it's funky accuracy.

Hmm.

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If it's scanning back and forth during normal driving, it is working just fine.

That just how the normal driving cycle is.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it is pegged out rich at wot and while cruising over 90 in 4th (4500rpm+). And it goes full lean when I downshift hard and back pressure the engine. I guess it's working right, it's just crazy during regular driving, back and forth like 3 times a second. Anyone else running an a/f that could describe what thiers does while driving? Lovin the gauges, thanks for the help. Later doods

g

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
mine cycles just like that. it's normal!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine does is too. I was wondering the same thing though. But now that I know other people's do it then I'm not worried about it at all.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
If it's scanning back and forth during normal driving, it is working just fine.

That just how the normal driving cycle is.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[ 02-10-2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: XSquigyX ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts