Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an Air Intake filter with a heat shield. How effective is this and do you recommend it.
Does it cause any restriction??

Thanks alot.....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone has to know something about these!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a K&N FIPK and it has a heat shield, I love it, and I would recommend it to anyone, and we all know the name K&N so it is built for quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a MAC shorty in my car and I would like to build a heat shield for it. I was wondering if any one of you Jetters have done so already? I was thinking of something resembling the Cool-Flo intake but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Two words: Heat soak.
Now matter what you do, no matter what you wrap around your filter, you will be sucking heat into
your intake. (Mainly on short ram styles)
Heat sheilds are for looks.
If your looking to spend your money on performance. Spend it on something else.
If you want to make your engine bay look purty
then its a good buy.
My .02

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
ollie, kona thanks for the advice.

im unsure if i want a heat shield.

to counter kona,

my under hood temps a very low, cause
i have a 2002 euro grill with large diamond openings to let the air in the engine bay, and...
the weather stripping under the windshield wipers is removed to let the air pass thru.

i can drive for an hour to the track and pop the hoos and my valve cover and iceman intake will be cool, nowhere near hot.

just my .03

chris

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Chris, in your case wouldnt you be better off without a heat sheild?
You want that cooler air thats flowing through your engine compartment to hit your filter directly (assuming you have a short ram intake)?

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Hurray someone brought up heatsoak!!! Heat soak is a problem... for about oh .75 seconds until you're moving. If you are purely into 1/4 mile yes that can make all the difference in the world. The reality is just sticking a cone filter on the end of your MAFS is sooo much better than stock that heat soak becomes an academic argument. For a long time I this setup

Thats a K&N filter with a heat sheild made of the lower half of the stock airbox and some scrap aluminum my buddy fab'd up for me (he makes armor for the ren faire) I also replaced the snorkle that goes under the battery with 3" duct running to the lower grill next to the foglamp. That setup was good for 115whp and 129wtq with my exhaust. There was also a very obvious dirty circle directly above where the snorkle fed through.

I bought my AEM used from FocusSport for $100 and while I like the fact it's much quieter, I'd have spent the money elsewhere if I had it do again.

[ 01-15-2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts