Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getting ready to buy a CAI, but I've seen where some only work on a 5spd transaxle...and I have a autotragic...so as long as it says nothing about a 5spd it's cool right? I'm either going to prolly go with Volant or AEM short

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
I have run both the shorty, and long CAI. You will get more gains from a long two piece AEM, or Bomz intake. A short intake shouldn't matter at all whether or not it is an auto or stick.

I don't know what you are looking for as far as performance, or noise. A short intake will make a lot of noise, and suck in a lot of hot air. Though it does sound good!
The CAI will mute it a bit, but the hp gains will be higher.

I am running a Bomz CAI, and could not be happier with the quality, or the price. It is a hell of a deal considering it is an exact copy of the AEM.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Volant is an awesome intake. I personally have the AEM CAI, but would definitely go with the Bomz Racing if it had been available at the time. The price and quality of the system is almost identical. The only thing missing are the AEM logos, and for an extra $6 and a little time, you can have it any color you want. If you're looking for a short intake, go with the Volant or Iceman. If you want to save money, go with the SVT snorkel, Dremel out your airbox to fit the snorkel, remove your resonator, add a K&N filter, and go from there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, My dad and Drew(FOK) both said Volant...and a few guys here in the 757 have the AEM short. But with everyone having AEM, apparently you get the clue that it's a good intake,and my friend David has the Iceman on his SE and I even thought about Bomz, but seeing how I live in the lowlands out here, knowing me I'd suck water and crack the block like my friend did on his 300ZX. Oh well, as soon as I get the money either Volant or AEM short will be on my focus fo' sho'!

[ 12-31-2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: 2o*FoCusZeTec*o2 ]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i have the volant and love it. if you dont want intake roar though, do NOT get the volant. it is one loud bad mother f-er. but oh baby does it sound sweet. oh and performance is good too

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
oh i wouldn't say any intake is loud enough to be cop-bait. loud exhaust possibly. personally, i just ordered the focussport quiet system, so ill let everyone know how the combo works when i get it. but really, the volant is loud, but its a good loud, and ive never been hassled for it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FocusOnPunk:
i have the volant and love it. if you dont want intake roar though, do NOT get the volant. it is one loud bad mother f-er. but oh baby does it sound sweet. oh and performance is good too
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, after the CAI is Cat-Back, either FocusSport and MBRP, and the MBRP is really really deep...so and loud CAI and a loud exhaust equals chat with cop...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
...and as ur talkin w/the cop a fox body mustang w/a 302 stroker motor and a camaro ss 396 roll by having a friendly dust-up. go figure.

and so it goes and so it goes.

-Ult

·
Registered
75 Posts
What's up,
Yeah, I have the AEM short ram and I do like it. The reason I got it is because I don't want to run a cai here because of the mad flooding where I work. The AEM is a good intake, but in the summer it seems to bog the car down a little because of the heat it sucks in. If I was making the choice again I would buy the Volant. Plus, with the Volant you can customize your hood for ram/ Cold air, if you want. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd recomend Volant, though I have a FocusSport Cool-Flo which works fine. I just don't like the slight droning noise under low acceleration but it is hardly noticeable (except when I'm thinking about it). Most exhausts drone more anyway.

My FS exhaust has an extra resonator on it, and it definately sounds

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey man about your question on the auto, I have an auto and I bought the AEM CAI. It fits perfectly w/ no problem at all and works great! Pulls hard as hell too and major hp gains over the rpm range. im very satisfied with it but it may not be for you b/c of the price. i dont know much about the volant or anything so cant give you my $.02 worth on that. i recommend the aem all the way tho. very pleased with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts