Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored this evening and decided to go look for stuff to mess with on my SVT. So I looked at the airbox and was curious how far the intake snorkel(really a resinator) on the side sat in the lower portion. It sits just about even with the fresh air intake hose opening on the bottom of the airbox, SO I decided to cut it. I cut the snorkel short, so it was flush with the airbox opening. I now hear a slightly louder intake noise, though it's still nice and sharp. And I can't help but think that those two sources of air create some kind of turbulence right under the MAS. Hey, I was bored....sue me

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Consider yourself sued... its a nice mod, I think EVERYONE with an SVT started there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why not just remove the S snorkel completely? It just pops right out when you take the airbox off. You can put it back in later if you want.

It did give a nice little growl to the intake.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You're better off to remove it, and plug the hole. With it open, you are now sucking even more hot air from the engine room.
~Dave

·
Registered
734 Posts
do you really think it will suck in more hot air? why?
i guess it might be a tiny bit less restrictive on the side and suck in a little more air, but would it suck much less from the front hose?
if you plugged the hole up then would you be able to get enough air from just the front hose?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I may just leave it as is. I'm planning on doing a hood vent(gimmiegears.com, composites) b/c of the insane underhood temps. I want to lengthen the life of everything under the hood and get the intake temps down...I just need an extra pitch black hood......don't wanna cut up mine just yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Air(and fluids) will generally follow the path of least resistance. You are right, it's not a great deal more, but every little bit counts.

I sealed my air box off completely, sans the fresh air duct I made. Works awesome, and it's nice and quiet.
~Dave

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, I think I may just leave it as is. I'm planning on doing a hood vent(gimmiegears.com, composites) b/c of the insane underhood temps. I want to lengthen the life of everything under the hood and get the intake temps down...I just need an extra pitch black hood......don't wanna cut up mine just yet.
Upgrade your radiator and you'll extend the life of everything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm....I want to reduce underhood temps, and the best way to do that is to get more air through the engine bay. An aluminum radiator will shed more heat from the coolant, but where does that heat go once you start moving forward?? You're engine bay. A hood vent will create more or less of a vacuum, keeping air moving through the bay and constantly sucking out the hot air and moving cooler air in, plus hot air rises so even sitting still it will be venting. Plus I don't have about $400 to spend on a Fluidyne, but I do have $85 and a few hours of labor to spend on doing a hood vent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts