Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new shocks, and am wondering how I should get my car aligned. I saw in another post he requested certain degrees and such.

What should I tell them to align it too? Also, can it be properly aligned if I don't have camber plates? I know very little about alignment.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Front needs plates to adjust camber, otherwise toe is set by tie rod length. Rear camber can be adjusted slightly without the offset uper arm bolts, and rear toe/camber is adjusted by the two large bottom control arm eccentric washer bolts.
I have mine set with a slight toe-in in the rear for stability, and zero degree toe in the front. Camber is -.5 degree all around. If your car is a daily driver you probably want close to stock specs on alignment- whatever that is.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So will it align right as it is?

Or will I have to buy camber plates. My cars lowered like 1.4'' with the Eibach pro-kit stuff.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I put a 2" drop on my car & AFTER alignment I had -1.3 camber on both wheels up front. (which should be pretty acceptable for daily driver use I think.)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have a 1.5" drop.

Camber in the front is -1.0
Camber in the rear is -1.5
Toe in the Front is 1/16"
Toe in the Rear is 0

You can't adjust the camber in the front without Camber Plates, but you can a little in the rears, but sometimes Camber Bolts are need

The Camber Specs are.
Camber Front: .70 to -1.82 Deg
Camber Rear: .29 to -2.33 Deg

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Obviously you want a F/R camber balance that is approriate for your application.
For MOST Auto-X/Track applications, our nose-heavy FWD Focuses like a little more Negative camber in the front than the back, but this also depends on your spring rates and dampers.

There is no need to toe-in the rear for stability.
The Focus does that FOR YOU during cornering due to its Passive Rear Steer that results from the rear's "Control-Blade" design. A static Rear toe of 0 should be perfect.

To aid with Turn In, AND to avoid wandering over grooved pavement, a SLIGHT Front Toe-Out is desirable.
Excessive toe out will cause premature wear faster than anything else.
1/8" TOTAL toe out is good, but most machines don't read that way these days. (Thus your question.
)
On MY last alignment, I went w/ about .16 Total Toe-Out.
(.08 per side).
More may be OK, but that seemed safe, and has worked well so far w/o any evident odd wear.
If camber isn't adjustable, just ask for a readout and look for R/L mismatch problems to determine if you NEED camber kits to correct to make L/R closer together.
If you have kits and want to adjust, keep the front between -.5 and -3 degrees, and the rear between 0 and -2 degrees, depending on your taste and application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts