Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to the local drag strip tonight (1/8th) and got 13 runs in and the best i could get was a 10.29 @ 70.8mph

I have the 05 D20 with a mm cai, 2 1/4 flex back exhaust and a F2 header.

I didn't pick up more than 1.5 seconds and like 5mph from when I had only an exhaust.

I am pretty sure a need a flash real bad
, and i can tell it is running really rich just from the crappy gas mileage since i did the header.

Let me know why this is and if you agree that i REALLY need a flash.( and cam timing )

thanks for your help!

- Moose

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
your trap speed is nice, seems like you should be getting better times though.
With my old focus the zetec i ran a 10.298 @ 67.241mph
This was with a filter on the end of the stock intake tube, removed lunchbox, and lowered. Seems like you should be a bit faster then you are now.
I say keep plugging away and you will see improvement.

What was your 60 ft? Seems like maybe your bogging?

Brent

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
On R Compounds(not DR's), he did 2.3 60ft as his best.

The car feels great, just couldn't get the times down.

Moose did 10.4/10.5's when he just had an exhaust, but it was around 64mph. So he did pick up some good power, just couldn't get the car down the strip much quicker.

Fun night though.

- Drew

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
It sounds to me like a combonation of both the need for a tune, and not nailing the hole-shot. In my experience the 05 is a "hot or not" car. To explain better, it will take off like a bat out of hell if you launch it right, but if you botch the takeoff you will start off like a slug. Even harder is that there is not a lot of middle ground. While quick, the D20 is not very forgiving in the area of taking off quickly.

I would definetly say get the car tuned, then work as much as possible to get used to launching the car at the track. I sometimes do it at stoplights, as it helps the reaction time much like a real tree would. (Of course I don't treat the street like a 1/4 mile, I just use the light for the launch)

I feel I must add though, that 10.29 is not too bad a time at all for the car and mods you have on it. Of course it can improve, but there are Zetecs with twice as many mods not running those numbers. (I hope not to offend any Zetec owners, BTW)

~Chalz

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
2.3 on the 60 isn't too bad either...I am starting to think that it has a lot more to do with the tune on the car.

And jeez, it's like 5am for you guys...do you Floridians ever sleep?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Nope, just another sleepless night.

And yes, his car is very obviously in need of a tune.

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
My daughter has managed a 9.942 with my 2.3 with a MM CAI on the stock Eagle RSA's
That's a 2.3 though.

What was the MPH on that run?

- Drew

·
Registered
13 Posts
well, it sounds like when he put the header on it caused it to start running rich because of more flow from the header and he is loosing his bottom end power but making it up on the other end of the track, i have a buddy with a neon that put a new cylinder head on it and its ported to much and it actually slowed his car down quite a bit and its fast as hell on the other end, but he lost all of his bottom end power

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
My daughter has managed a 9.942 with my 2.3 with a MM CAI on the stock Eagle RSA's
That's a 2.3 though.

What was the MPH on that run?

- Drew
Yes, it is a 2.3, on a track that is slightly uphill.

Don't be entirely disappointed with the times. A 10.29 is pretty decent, all things considered. It's not like you should be riunning mid 14s with just an intake and exhaust.

On the same track that Jay was just talking about (with his daughter) I was running 10.1-10.3. And again, yes that is a 2.3L, and it was my first time out. With a little better practice I hope to see my times down where Jay's daughter is. So figure that my rookie butt is hitting the same times in my 2.3L with the same mods as you and your 2.0L. So don't feel too bad about your times. Cause mine are terrible.
MPH on both the runs that I had (the one's I consider countable) were approx. 69.5.

***Edit***Just saw you have a header also. Sorry, feel free to ignore anything I say, but I still think your times are decent. Let me know if the flash helps out any. That will most likely be my next mod.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well check mine out. i best was

60-2.430
mph-68.80
et 10.315

this was with custom intake and custome 2.5 exhaust. stock tires and tools and misc crap n the trunk
how do you guys launch. no matter what i was going form 10.3 to 10.8 this was with 1/4 tank, everything else stock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My stock d20 ran the 1/8 in 10.447 w/ a 2.27 60' and 67.67 mph, so there is something seriously wrong here. if its a manual try runnin the gears for longer, if its an auto, then sucks to you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With my svt I had a horrible launch. Nothing else is done to the car but just figured I'd compare my times anyway. My 60ft was 2.6181 1/8ET was 10.58 and 69.66mph. Taking traction control off this wed. and I'll let you know how a better launch affects the svt.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
Yes, it is a 2.3, on a track that is slightly uphill.
Its not even a real track, it is the parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium
, and my best time there with a 2.0 ZETEC, with an AEM cold air, FS Race header, UDP, OBX exhaust, Jackson Racing TB, and Diablo chip was 10.3 @ 68mph, so I would say that you are running about what you should be running. I wouldnt be too concerned.

·
Banned
613 Posts
10.052 @ 69.89 was my best in my zetec.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im gunna tune my cams to marcy's specs and will run again after and will post up. that could be a good help m thinkin!

- Moose

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
I ran a 10.1 on my focus (mods listed below)

2.4 60 ft
67 mph

I'm running rich as all too.

dentless dave!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts