Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am ready to do my brake job but my dad says the brake knuckles are usually held in by an allen wrench bolt. does anyone know the size of it? oh or a torx he said too. does anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
its a 7mm allen hex key.
yep, got my 7mm allen drive @ sears for around $5. it's good to get a ratchet-drive for this, as you'll need to torque the bolts to spec when you reinstall. (so look for one that has the same size drive as your torque wrench: 3/8, 1/2 etc). oh - and it would be otherwise impossible to get the bolts out with a small allen wrench heh.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I'd recommend using a Torx rather than an allen... since it uses a Torx shaped hole.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'd recommend using a Torx rather than an allen... since it uses a Torx shaped hole.
Yea, while an allen will work, I believe the bolt is actually designed to take either a Torx or an Allen. Or at least in my case. Now, if I could only remember the Torx size. Perhaps it'll turn up in a search....Looks like it might be a T-40 Torx after searching briefly. I picked up a 10 piece or so Torx set for I think less than $10 at WallyWorld.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OK, let's be clear about which bolt we're talking about...

Do you mean the bolt that clamps the knuckle to the balljoint? That's a T50 Torx.

Or, do you mean the bolts that hold the brake caliper to the knuckle? Those are 7mm allens.

EDIT: I should point out that this is true on my 2004 ZX3, and that the 7mm allen also works on the caliper of my wife's 00 SE wagon.

Don't use Torx and Allen interchangeably.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
sean is correct.

if your removing the caliper from its mounting bracket, its a 7mm HEX allen key.

while yes you can remove it using a standard allen wrench...your not going to be able torque it done when your done. Trust me, you want to torque this.

so i'd advise and like others have said, go to sears, buy the Hex socket kit, its got like 6 metric size hex keys in 3/8" drive sockets. its an investment worth making.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
OK, let's be clear about which bolt we're talking about...

Do you mean the bolt that clamps the knuckle to the balljoint? That's a T50 Torx.

Or, do you mean the bolts that hold the brake caliper to the knuckle? Those are 7mm allens.

EDIT: I should point out that this is true on my 2004 ZX3, and that the 7mm allen also works on the caliper of my wife's 00 SE wagon.

Don't use Torx and Allen interchangeably.
Good point. Yes, I believe you're right. The knuckle -to- ball joint bolt is a Torx.

Buuuuuttttttt, the bolt that holds the caliper to the knuckel on my '01 ZX3 IS a Torx. Buuuuuttttttt(again), an allen will work just the same. If you pull the caliper bolt out and take a look at the head, you will immediately see why either will work with no ill affects. There has been confusion on here for a while about whether it was/is an allen or a Torx. The fact is, that at the force(torqe) being applied to the bolt either will work just fine.

Now, this could have been something that was changed over the years and different hardware may have even been used at different manufacturing locations. That could be where some of the confusion is coming from. But I have yet to see anybody actually take the time to try and document who has what on which models made where. My guess has been that very few people have actually taken the bolts out and looked at them because you do not have to remove them to take the calipers off. And since they're in a location where you really can't see the bolt head, many people just assume they're an allen, start grabbing allens until they find one that fits, and go from there.

I guess the good thing is that I have yet to hear of anybody actually having trouble with these bolts. None that won't loosen. No stripped heads, etc... I guess in a pinch the right sized straight blade screwdriver a hammer and a pair of vice grips would get the job done as well(hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?, know what I mean?) .

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hmmm...well, I'll be.

I have, in fact, had my (04 ZX3 PZEV) caliper bolts off and checked 'em out...and they're *definitely* hex-head. I could see how you could fit a torx bit in there and get basically the same amount of engagement ('cause the significant contanct is only ever at the 'points' of the allen key), but you'd also run the risk of rounding your lovely new wallyworld torx bit.

And lemme tell you - those bargain Torx bits are no bargain. Just sheared one yesterday on it's first use

I would *definitely* not go the other way, though -- smallish allen key in a torx bolt. Ruining bolts is a bummer...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That's weird. I removed my caliper bolts completely last summer, and they were Allen head IIRC. But Ford likes to mix and match, so anything's possible. I mean, what generation of end links are we up to now? 3rd? 4th?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Proper name: caliper slide pin.

Now, this could have been something that was changed over the years and different hardware may have even been used at different manufacturing locations.
I believe you are correct on the caliper slide pins being different between assembly locations. My 01 was a 7mm. hecho en Mexico.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Hmmm...well, I'll be.

I have, in fact, had my (04 ZX3 PZEV) caliper bolts off and checked 'em out...and they're *definitely* hex-head. I could see how you could fit a torx bit in there and get basically the same amount of engagement ('cause the significant contanct is only ever at the 'points' of the hex), but you'd also run the risk of rounding your lovely new wallyworld torx bit.
Well, good for you.

Your car is obviously devective and you should trade it in for a Zetec.
When we're changing brake pads next weekend at Summit well have to pull the bolts out and compare. Now you've got my interest perked.

From what I remember, the bolt has the proper Trox shape. Trust me, it is no coincidence that the Torx fits in there so snugly. It is obviously a Torx shape. But it also has (and this is stretching it as far as describing things goes) a hex shaped allen cavity 'inscribed' within the Torx shape. But that could all be in my head...regardless we'll find out in almost exactly 1 week. Tell you what, whoever's wrong will buy the other the first beer OK?

And lemme tell you - those bargain Torx bits are no bargain. Just sheared one yesterday on it's first use
I've used my el-cheapo WallyWorld Torx bit for at least 15 brake changes without a problem. How tight do you tighten them?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Now, this could have been something that was changed over the years and different hardware may have even been used at different manufacturing locations.
I believe you are correct on the caliper slide pins being different between assembly locations. My 01 was a 7mm. hecho en Mexico.
My 01 is a Torx hecho in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Proper name: caliper slide pin.
Ahh, shaddap an go fix yer racecar, smart guy.

Tell you what, whoever's wrong will buy the other the first beer OK?
Done.

I've used my el-cheapo WallyWorld Torx bit for at least 15 brake changes without a problem. How tight do you tighten them?
I was using it to break the bolt that clamps the knuckle over the balljoint. It was kinda rusty, and darned stubborn... Stuck it on the breaker bar, pulled, and -

My 01 was a 7mm. hecho en Mexico.
My 01 is a Torx hecho in Mexico.
Yo tambien - hecho en Mexico, modelo 2004 (gracias Babelfish).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It's Sean. Did you really expect him to not break it?
Oh, now he's not even allowed to work on Gary's car. Well, at least not with Gary's tools.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

...I was using it to break the bolt that clamps the knuckle over the balljoint. It was kinda rusty, and darned stubborn... Stuck it on the breaker bar, pulled, and -
Hey, count yourself lucky. I used a cheap Torx socket (Performance Tool brand, I think) on my steering knuckle pinch bolts, and I wish the socket had broken. Instead, the bolt heads both got chewed up - the "points" just tore off like the bolt was made of chewing gum.

Luckily, there were exactly two pinch bolts left in the Syracuse area dealer parts network.

Oh, and my 2001 ZX3 was built in Hermosillo in October, 2000, if anybody cares.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts