Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I got the bug and went to test drive an STi, and then sat down and tried to buy it.

Price: 33500
Trade: 12K for my SVT (owe 9K) with 34K miles and JRSC still on

I was actually thinking to lease it...I have always bought them but this time, realistically, no way am I keeping the car more than three years so better to spend less, and easier to be clear and free. The sales manager came back with a lease figure of $450/mo for 3 years 36K miles, I told him done deal. Went home for a bit while they did they paperwork, etc, went on a run, came back to finish the transaction and: sorry, we made a mistake. The term we figured out was for 48 months...the 36 month rate is actually $610/mo! Sorry our mistake. Crap, I was really let down I have to say. I shed a little tear....

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
The sales manager came back with a lease figure of $450/mo for 3 years 36K miles, I told him done deal. Went home for a bit while they did they paperwork, etc, went on a run, came back to finish the transaction and: sorry, we made a mistake. The term we figured out was for 48 months...the 36 month rate is actually $610/mo! Sorry our mistake.
Damn that sucks and you wonder why many car dealerships have such a bad rap.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow, what a terrible thing to do to a person. Get your hopes up, and nuthin...

On a happier note, I'm surprised they gave you 12k for the SVT, especially being that it is a 2002. If I could get 12000 for my car, it would be gone.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You mean "STEALERSHIPS"

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I have had that happen to me before so I know exactly how you feel.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
I went to a scooby dealership after my grey zx3 was totalled. looked at the legacy GT ltd, which in my opinion, is a much nicer car. he asked if i wanted to see the STi, and i said something along the lines of "that car is much too ugly for me to drive. i cant see past that wing. sorry."
salesman was surprised but thought it funny.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It is a lot of money to spend for what it is. You are right that whole wing thing needs to go. I have seen a few without the wing and they look far better to me

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know...the car is a frickin' beast. I am going to either get an STi or a Mustang, but really dont want to wait two years for either the new SVT Cobra or the new STi, so I tried this week to no avail.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Id get an 05/ 06 Mustang GT faster than you could say "."

...but, I love my car...and I have no reason to ditch it...yet..

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
I almost bought a WRX before my focus. I went down and test drove it, loved it, they were asking some astronomic number, like $22K for an 02 with low mileage, a nice system, and Subzeros. I called my Dad, and he said he would only come down if they could do it for under 20. I told the salesman that and he said yeah we can definitely work that out. So my Dad came down, started negotiating, the salesman went back to the fleet manager, came back, said there's no way we're gonna be able to do it for any less than 21. We tried to negotiate some more and after a good half hour if number crunching the lowest they would go was $20,500. They almost refused to negotiate, it was very heart-breaking (although it all worked fine in the end
). I went on to i-club.net later that night and found a stickied thread, 6 pages long, about the incompetence of Steven's Creek Subaru.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha! Ive been looking all day--thinking of the 06 GT, and getting a saleen supercharger. looks like that kit with some other bolt ons and a tune is 400rwhp. sick.

·
Registered
385 Posts
FYI That 400rwhp from the Saleen supercharger comes from only 3.5psi

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI That 400rwhp from the Saleen supercharger comes from only 3.5psi
actually a stock gt with the supercharger puts down 360rwhp @ 4psi or so per the message boards, while 6-8 psi nets between 400 and 430rwhp.

·
Registered
385 Posts
actually a stock gt with the supercharger puts down 360rwhp @ 4psi or so per the message boards, while 6-8 psi nets between 400 and 430rwhp.
Well the latest MM&FF quoted the S281 Supercharged was only showing 3.5psi in their testing, unless I read the article wrong. I have the mag at home so I'll check when I get back. However saleens website says (Direct Link):

The overall efficiency gains-in the engine, the supercharger and the intercooler-mean the Saleen supercharged 3V-V8 produces more horsepower and torque at a less stressful 4-5 psi boost - 400 horsepower, and 420 lb-ft of torque
So sounds more like 4-5psi, maybe the gauge in the MM&FF test car was off and they were only seeing 3.5psi. Keep in mind the S281 Supercharged version has exhaust which is a good for 10-15whp on NA 3V's. Heck I have seen dyno's breaking 300whp fairly common with the new 3V's with just basic bolt ons. Anyway, IMHO 400whp with even 6psi is pretty good. The 3V's are turning out to be pretty strong running engines. If you look at the latest R&T there is a Vortech supercharged 05 that was making 575hp with 16psi (R&Tdirectlink). It only got 8th place (still quite good) in the 1 mile standing acceleration test, but out of all the cars they tested it was pulling the hardest at the end of the 1 mile run and was able to hit 192mph (rev limiter, took more then 1 mile for that speed).

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The Mustangs/Saleens are nice. However now is not the time to buy one since most dealers are getting premium prices for them. If you want to pay far more then the car is worth then I say go for it. Otherwise I would just wait if that is what you want.

You could also look at a 03-04 Cobra. They make great power and handle well. They are also coming down in price. Just something to think about

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Mustangs/Saleens are nice. However now is not the time to buy one since most dealers are getting premium prices for them. If you want to pay far more then the car is worth then I say go for it. Otherwise I would just wait if that is what you want.

You could also look at a 03-04 Cobra. They make great power and handle well. They are also coming down in price. Just something to think about
you make a really good point about an 03/04, and they have really stout engines too...but my wife doesn't like the old body style very much. believe me I tried!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think Richard Holdner was able to make nearly 1000hp with the stock 03/04 longblock in his testing (turbo conversion, race gas, etc..) so yeah, they are very stout factory engines

For me though from what I have seen around here they are generally more expensive then an 05 GT (without markup), and I like the 05 bodystyle a lot more. A few guys have gotten 05's for $25k, but then again I have heard a lot of guys saying more like $30-32k also.

What I am really waiting for though is the 5.4L Mach 1 version that is rumored to be coming out eventually. Rumor says ~370hp NA, pretty much in between the GT and the Shelby.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You mean someone actually got an 05 GT for $25k? Unbelievable! Every dealer I went to wanted a minimum of $5k over sticker...and I only managed to find one on the lots. I have to say, it is a very nice car, but not worth $30k+. I mean the way Ford works, in a couple years there will be so many of them out there, they'll end up doing their usual buyer incentives and you'll be able to get one pretty reasonably. OR, I'm sure they will be like every other Ford and their resale value will drop off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Some guys (on the forums) have said they have gotten their stripped down GT's for as low as $24.3k, but it sounds like maybe they X-planned them and also ordered them (rather then taken from lot inventory).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts