Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, In nor-cal, on marsh creek road, a good friend almost lost his life in the mountains. Doing what you ask? What a lot of people around here do. Playing in the backroads.

About 11pm i was in a chatroom I usually frequent. Many of the people in the chat room know each other IRL. Somehow, the topic of Racing up in the twisties arose. Some trash talking started and My friend, challenged another friend to go on a "cruise". It ended up being settled that He would go to meet someone in an area he wasnt too familliar with and the guy who knew the area would lead. I sat by and watched all this be hashed out in the room. My friend left the chatroom. I called him up and asked him If he was really gonna run him up marsh creek, even though he didnt know the road. He assured me he'd be fine.
The last thing I heard was the rumble of the other guy's cobra exhaust and Him saying, "He's here. I gotta go." I replied.
"Be Safe."
That was at midnight.

12:30
My phone rings. I look at caller ID. Its a norcal number, but not one I know. I got chills..."Hello?"
"Greg?"
"Yeah, whats wrong?"
"The car is gone."

And was the car ever gone...

This, is the end result of pushing the car too hard, in unfamiliar surroundings. He is a good driver. I've ridden with him. The car is very well set up. I've driven it. It all came down to the fact that he was in the wrong place, at the wrong time to be driving like that.

Ive seen this basic situation happen before. Remember James Hock? I do. I have his memorial decals on my cage and helmet. I thought of him on the Angeles Crest run when my car got squirrley trying to keep up with the faster cars. I backed off. And i came out ok. The previous year, the same thing happened to Howard. But he ended up slapping the side of a rock. Thankfully only his car got it.

Next time you are on a "twisty day" or a "cruise" remember these images. Remember there's a speed limit for a reason. Remember how much you love your car, your family, your friends. Do you want to throw away all that? so you can take a turn 5mph faster? There's a place for agressive driving, it's called the track. Keep it there.

It's bad enough that we have to bury this car. But at least we dont have to bury a friend...

...this time.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
crap man, i used to run up and down that same road all the time when i lived in concord and when ever i go home.

Its one of the best roads around to have fun on, but nothing more than spirited driving unless you know the road and your car. I hope he pulls thru

My heart jumped when i saw the car, it looks exactly like my friends car that still lives out there and i know he always goes out there. Is that a starion?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I think we'll all admit that back-road barnstorming is fun but it's very dangerous. When I was in college in fram-laden NW Wisconsin, I would do drive the backroads for a stress reliever. Sometimes, I'd push it, but I got a dose of reality … The story starts out kinda funny.

My Nissan was in the shop (big surprise) and I had a purple Geo Metro sedan for a rental. The thing was actually pretty nimble – no power steering and front and rear sway bars. After class, I went on my usualy back-road route. There was a blind hill that was really fun – it was banked, wide, and there was rarely anyone on it. But, as I mentioned, until you crested the top of the hill, you couldn't see what was on the other side.

I was going about 70 mph up hill in the little metro figuring, as usual, there woudln't be anybody/thing on the other side. I crested the top and had to stomp on the brakes becase there were two DOT dumptrucks patching up the farm road. The two workers had to run out of the way. I felt horrible, scared, and guilty. I'm sure I scared the snot out of them, and I know I scared myself. Ever since then, I've taken it easy on those back roads. Sure, we all enjoy twisties, but lets be responsable.

I'm glad your friend is okay – he's really lucky.

·
Registered
723 Posts
damn man, that is very unfortunate. it sucks that the car is toast but at least your friend is okay. it was things like this that kept running through my head during the angeles cruise. i'll admit i had fun but i wasn't about to push my car through that. there were just too many opportunities for error that could bite me in the ass.
anyways, once again i'm glad your friend is safe and that it's just the car that will be buried.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Sometimes the illusion of immortality infects us all, i must admit.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a 2nd generation (FC) RX-7.

My friend is ok. He refused medical treatment becuase he wanted to get out of there. He refused a CHP report, and i guess they said ok since it was only his property that was damaged. He got home and realized he was covered with blood, but only from a few minor lacerations.

All he keeps saying is that the car did what it was supposed to, in that it kept him alive. Which is very true.

Thankfully he has a 2nd car; this was his fun car. It was insured, but not full coverage. He isnt going to get anything for the car.

Appearantly he came around a turn and it stepped out, he corrected but it swung the other way and swung him around. While going backwards, the car hit an embankment, and one of the rear wheels dug in and flipped him. The car spun like a top on its roof for about 100-150 feet before stopping. the exhaust was about 150 feet behind the car, the battery about 100 in front.The sunroof was found several feet from the exhaust, so the entire roof slide was done with nothing between his head and the concrete.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Very glad to hear your friend is ok. Your story makes me think about a few times I was enjoying the "backroads" traveling back to base. I think its going to be a reality check from now on. Seeing the pictures of that car just gave me chills.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How old is your friend ? How come he could not just chill when some punk challenged him for a stupid race ?
I'm glad your friend survived

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
that car looks familiar for some reason...can't quite put my finger on it...

glad to hear your friend is ok.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Remember James Hock? I do
Its odd you mention James...I just went to the sight of his accident. Its on an AWESOME twisty road out in the country. We had better than 30 cars that day..and still managed to lose one.
Guys....Lets not forget the people whom have passed before us, lets learn from their mistakes and not make our own. Im glad to hear your friend will be alright, its a misfortune is car is destroyed but cars can always be raplaced...best friends cant.

Peace, Love, and Wicked Twisties my brothers and sisters.
Aaron

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I'm glad to hear your friend is alright, it is a mircle for someone to be able to walk away from something like that.

Remember James Hock? I do.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Greg, Im ery glad to hear that your friend is safe... it sounds like it could have very easily gone the other way...
Its also good that you shared this with us, Ive made three mountain trips in the past week, always by myself, always during the week with little or no traffic, and always a little faster than I should...
Besides the fact it makes for great video, there really isnt much sense to it! Ive had two occasions up past Idyllwild at about 6200ft. where I had to pull over because I had scared myself.
I was considering another trip on Monday, but think I might find something else to do. I need to just get off my ass and go with you guys to the track!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
im glad he is ok but we all need a does of reality every now and then

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Marsh is BAAD!! I have had a few friends that almost died there too..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts