Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost scammed....

I'm selling my Aerocharger Stage 3 and MIC (will be in the classifieds tomorrow) and I put an auciton up on ebay. I received an email from a guy saying he wanted to buy it for his grandson for his b-day. He said he would pay with bidpay and asked if it was possible, after bidpay confirms the payment that I could send it 2 days air so it would get there in time. He said he would pay the extra shipping.
I told him to call me as I like dealing with people buying expensive stuff like this over the phone. He says he tried to call but the phone was busy and just to give him the total through email and he'd pay. I emailed him back and told him to call.

The phone could not have been busy as my g/f and I are the only ones wholive here and neither of us had been on that phone all day. He finally calls. He acted ignorant, pretending not to know anything about anything but he wanted the kit as a present. I gave him the total with shipping ($2820.00) and he said he would pay right away. A couple hours later I get both emails, the confirmation that he paid and the approval they actually verified the money was there and took it from his account.

After a long night of thinking about it...something didnt seem right. Something about the guy and the transaction. I also thought that bid pay only did transactiosn for $700 or less. Well I check the site and I was right. I call bidpay to ask about the payment and after checking the confirmation number they said there was no such number. The guy had generated the emails somehow so that the email address's matched the ones that bidpay uses and if I would have sent it out, I would have been SOL for $2820

Here is the guys info:

Matthew Clen
7969 Cherrybark Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46236

What I want people to relize is he is one of us and is amongst us because he does have a focus. If anyone knows this guy, I'll work out some sort of reward for some retalliation. I'll be calling his local police department and well as bidpay and will be doing my best to prosecute the guy.

I'm not posting this so people can give me advice of "dont send stuff before you get hte payment in your hand" or stuff like that...simply to warn people and possibly track this bastard down!

[ 05-20-2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: TRUenemy00 ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
If that's the guy's real name and address, then he's either a real idiot or, well, a real idiot.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for warning
. It's people like that that make me worried about ordering things online. My past 2 experiences have been positive. I'm trusting my exhaust will come in okay

·
Registered
370 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
If that's the guy's real name and address, then he's either a real idiot or, well, a real idiot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think that would be his real name and address. Why put your real info on an illegal action??...unless your..............an IDIOT!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by TRUenemy00:
The guy had generated the emails somehow so that the email address's matched the ones that bidpay uses and if I would have sent it out, I would have been SOL for $2820
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you want I can help you trace those emails. Mail me if you're interested: [email protected]

Jon
http://focus.noegruts.com/

[Edit: I guess the board doesn't like mailto: links...]

[ 05-20-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Jon Sturgeon ]

·
Registered
744 Posts
it would have to be his (or someone he knows) address or the turbo woulda been sent to some random guy? I think not?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Not likely his real name.....

No "clen" listed and no public records that I could find for a Clen in all of Indiana....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, this is the neighborhood according to microsoft terraserver.

Looks like a cookie cutter suburb.

I don't see a focus in any driveway.

We'll get'em

·
Banned
187 Posts
Ran the address for this Clen dude. Also have a matching phone number, but I won't post it. The address comes up as follows ...

Harvery, J
7969 Cherrybark Dr
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46236

·
Banned
187 Posts
I found it in about 2 minutes of searching. Here is the fun little site that finds everyone most of the time.

Anywho.com

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hmm. He must live cose to me, but I don't know any Focus tuner in Indy by either of those names.

[ 05-21-2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: ZincYellowZX3 ]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by 2xZx3:
Well, this is the neighborhood according to microsoft terraserver.

Looks like a cookie cutter suburb.

I don't see a focus in any driveway.

We'll get'em
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you know some of the terraserver pics are over 10 years old

1 - 20 of 80 Posts