Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my alternator died on me a few days ago. I was driving and everything electrical quit out of no where. i pulled over and turned the car off and it wouldnt start back up. I waited about 30 minute ad it cranked, I drove home with nothing working (A/C, radio, gauges, lights...etc) and parked it and it died completely. I let it sit for 2 days and still would not crank, so i hooked it up with cables to my wifes car and let it charge for about 20 minutes, and it cranked, I removed the negative battery wire (because i suspected it was the alternator giving me problems) and the car imediately died. I then determined that it must be the alternator. I looked up on here how to remove it, and it was a pain in the butt! I got to the thing in about 10 minutes, and had it unbolted in another 5. But trying to get it from its place in the engine out of the bya took an hour or more. I had to take apart the fuel lines, and force it out. Now I'm thinking that there has to be an easier way to get it in nd out of its place. I just want to see what you guys think before I install the new one. I dont want to remove the intake manifold to install it, but dont see any other way to make more room for the install. help.

CLIFF NOTES:
removed my alternator, was a PITA to get out because of a lcak of space.

Want to know if there is an easier way to install the new one other than forcing it into a space it does not seem to fit in.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Nope, that is the way to do it. It is tight and will only go in one way but it will go in.

Wish there was an easier way to tell you but there isn't, sorry. I've been there and done it.

Good Luck

Andrew

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
TBH with you, once you've removed the bad alternator.

installing the new one is a snap.

I just replaced mine with a 140amp from CFM.

It took us about 20 minutes to unbolt the dang thing, get everything out of the way and undo all teh wiring clips.

it took us 2 hours to get it OUT of the engine bay.

took a lot of finagaling and wrestling but it comes out.

it took me, about 30 seconds to shove the replacement one in. lol.

things go in easier then they come out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DisrupTer911 Where did you get that Alternator and or whats the biggest one i can get in there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts